Fenix E21 or L1T V2?

aEx155

Newly Enlightened
Both AA, 2-mode clicky lights, just hoping to get some opinions on both.

I prefer the smaller 1xAA light but contemplating about price.

Will most likely be used around the house at night in low mode and maybe outdoors (occasional bike ride/walk through suburban neighborhood; has plenty of street lights already) on high.

Parents say Quark AA Tactical is way too expensive, in actuality I really don't need a light of that quality.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your purchase is at the mercy of your parents then maybe you might want to check up in the CPF Marketplace for a better deal?

EDIT to Add: what is the budget you are looking at?

aEx155

Newly Enlightened
If your purchase is at the mercy of your parents then maybe you might want to check up in the CPF Marketplace for a better deal?

My parents are more likely to buy from an established website (ex. 4sevens, Amazon, Shiningbeam, ebay) than someone in the Marketplace.

Ishango

Enlightened
Well if you're confined to these two, I personally would chose the L1T-V2 over the Fenix E21. The amount of light provided by both are not too different in normal usage and when using it around the house, it is easy pocketable.

I own both the L1T (my current EDC probably until my Quark MiNi AA arrives) and the E20 (predecessor of the E21) and like them both. But I tend to use the L1T more often because of its' size.

Other than that have you considered the Quark MiNi AA or Quark MiNi 123? These should be in your price range.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1T is a lot easier to pocket but might be a bit dim for a bike ride especially when some of the streets are well lit.

-

Do not be thrown off by the list of modes on the Quark MiNis. The blinky modes are hidden which leaves you with 3 easily accessible modes.
Low - good for in close or heading to the bathroom in the middle of the night.
Medium - normal indoor use similar to the L1T low.
High - normal outdoor use similar to the L1T high.
As I think the high is insufficient for bike use may I suggest the Quark MiNi AA2.
At 5 inches long and with a pocket clip it can sit comfortably in my jeans back pocket. Yet the high is double that of the 1AA MiNi or L1T.
Size is like a fat penlight. Preon 2 top, MiNi AA2 middle, Minimag AAA bottom.
Quark-MiNi-AA2-size.jpg

-
BTW Limited-Run Neutral-white Quark MiNi AA is $2 less than the regular one. And less blue.
-
You can pick up the twisty action fairly quickly. And there is no switch mechanism to fail.

-

The Fenix E21 is big enough not to be easily carried when you are not using it so it is not likely to be with you when you need light.

aEx155

Newly Enlightened
Personally, I have enough money to purchase the Quark saved up. The purchase would need to go through my parents, though, since it's an online order, and they're not really inclined to buy something like a flashlight. I can manage ~$45 at best.

The only thing that bothers me about the MiNis is the fact that they are twisty lights (which is, of course, only personal preference). I don't mind about the mode interface.

Another thing I'm considering is getting maybe 1-2 Li-ion batteries and a light to go with it, but the fact that I'd have to get batteries along with the light increases the cost factor...maybe suggestions on which size LiIon battery to get first, and a light that goes along with it (preferrably 2-mode, forward clicky)?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

aEx155

Newly Enlightened
I do not recommend lithium batteries for newbies. There are dangers and safety procedures involved.

It is not that hard to stay safe but probably not for the 1st flashlight. And definitely not at $45 for torch, batteries and charger of reasonable quality.

This is not my first flashlight. I've had one before. I also do a lot of work in electronics, and I have some experience in handling LiIon batteries.

I currently have a universal single cell charger (currently used for charging cellphone batteries) I just need the batteries and the flashlight.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an L1T v2, and the L2T body tube to go with it. I think it's a great light.

I would go with the L1T v2 now, and if you have some more money later on, get the 2 x AA body tube for it. It is dramatically brighter on 2 cells than one. But for most needs (probably not as a bike light, though) the L1T will do just fine.

I'd contemplated selling mine recently, when I sold off most of my collection to replace the lights I had with a few SureFires, and to put together funds for a Ra. One of the few lights I kept was the L1T v2. :thumbsup:

aEx155

Newly Enlightened
What size batteries does your cellphone use?

Not 18650s, if that's what you're thinking.

When I say "universal single cell charger" it's actually a camera battery charger from SONY that has had some modifications. I soldered a polarized connector to the battery connections inside, so I can hook up either cells with an appropriate connector, or battery holders with the same connector. The actual circuitry has reverse polarity and overcharge protection built in.

I do use if for charging cellphone batteries, but not for cellphones that are actually in use. I use the unused cells for powering a set of rear red lights on my bike. That's the only use I figured I could use them for (infrequent, low drain use), since the cells have no protection circuit (yet).