G2 tailcap variant?

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok I have a G2Z, G3 and a number of G2s.

I met scout24 for lunch the other day and he mentioned that his G2 has a short tailcap. So short that it wont work with the oveready clicky upgrade.

I was intrigued. I met up with him for lunch today and traded him my G3 tailcap for the short tailcap.

The short tailcap acts like my 3P and 6Z tailcap. the guts of the tailcap fall out of the housing when you remove the tailcap,

Here are pictures. It seems this may have been one of the first run tailcaps from Surefire. They have since changed their mold which is evident in the mold flash seen on my OD G2 tailcap. I believe SF altered thier mold and made the G2 tailcap taller.

p1040344d.jpg

p1040345.jpg

p1040346q.jpg

p1040347p.jpg

hotlight

Enlightened
the taller tc has the "lockout feature" and threads(for McClicky kit) and can be used with the McClicky kit

the shorter black one is the older non lock out style, and has no threads(has threads to screw onto body, but no threads for the McClicky Kit).

I'm not a expert on SF or their "evolution" so my info might be off... but I do have both styles of TCs.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah you are right. When i try to back off the tailcap to "lockout" the contacts. it doesnt and if I press down and into the button, it will activate the light.

trdsupragt

Newly Enlightened
I've got the same tailcap as well. It was from when SF had just came out with the G2. I got mine quite a few years ago.

IMG_1038.jpg

Size15's

Flashaholic
Originally the G2 was released with a non-LOTC.
Subsequent Nitrolon models such as the G2Z, G3, G2L etc had a LOTC as standard and the G2 was eventually dragged up to standard as well.
SureFire created Z numbers for the LOTCs so people could retrofit their G2's with them.

Personally I think releasing the G2 without the LOTC was a mistake and SureFire missed the opportunity to introduce new customers to 'the SureFire difference' of their patented features and inventions.