Cell phone help

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need a new phone as I lost my Nokia 63xx. It had a weak ring and I missed calls in my truck. It also had a low volume receive.
Does anyone know which phone is the loudest? Cingular is my provider (TDMA). It seems my choices are:
Sony T620
Nokia 3560
Motorola C353T and V60ti.
Of course, any other types that would fit the bill.
TIA, everyone.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank Alan. I also asked this question at howardforums, a very large BB of cell phone users, although I like this BB better.

unnerv

Enlightened
I still have a Cingular unlocked Nokia 8890 if you are looking for a nice phone (in fact I have two, one good one and one that has two broken led's that I saved for parts if I ever needed them...) It is a nice small phone with a grey HA aluminum body. It has a couple of nicks in the corners from use, so I would sell both for $175 or possibly trade. If you would like pics let me know and I can take some tonight. I also have extra batteries, ac adapters etc. I'll have to take a look around, I might also have a 8290 laying around. If I can find it, you can have it for postage.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you so much for the offer unnerv. Is this a great place or what.
I'll have to pass on the 8890 as they have a poor signal strength (or SAR) and I already had that problem with my 6120. I'm also thinking of getting a GSM as I will be going to Germany in two months.
Off topic, what is unlocking? I have seen that term before and I know nothing about it.

unnerv

Enlightened
actually the 8890 is a gsm world phone, as long as your phone takes a gsm sim card it should work. I have noticed that my ericcson t68i does get a little bit better reception. The unlocked refers to the fact that you can put any providers chip in it. Most cellphones that you get from a provider are "locked." This is so that you must use the phone with the provider that you bought it from. An AT&T t68i will not work with a cingular sim card and vice versa. The big advantage of having an unlocked phone is if you travel to other countries that use GSM primarily, you can buy a prepaid sim from a local provider and use their service at their rates instead of the "world" rates that cingular charges. The last time my brother went to Taiwan cingular's world rate was about $6 a minute, so it was much cheaper to buy a local prepaid sim and use that instead.

BTW, I am currently using an erricson t68i and have been very happy with it. Battery life is much better than the nokia's, the ring is loud, and it has bluetooth so you can use wireless handsfree headsets as well as data transfer. I believe they are available from cingular as well, but if you are planning to go abroad I would try to find an unlocked "world phone" that covers all bands, not just the ones used in the states.

Screehopper

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
sunspot said:
Cingular is my provider (TDMA).

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Cingular uses GSM, not TDMA.

unnerv

Enlightened
in some parts of the country you can get tdma service, but being in CA where they don't, I didn't even notice the tdma until I reread the post.

I have been a big fan of GSM for a long time now.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like an unlocked phone is the best choice. Here in Alabama, the providers have not overlayed the TDMA with GSM yet.
Features are nice to have sometimes but I am a simple guy. I don't use text, games, internet or phone photos. I just use it on trips away from home.
I live so far out in the country that there is no cell phone service here.
You can forget about a pizza delivery. No cable and no high speed internet also.

I'll check out the Sony/Erricson line if they are loud.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Sony Ericsson T68i. AT&T wireless service. 550 minutes and free nights and weekends. $50 or so a month after taxes in NY.

This phone is small, but is freaking loud. Everyone says it is loud, can hear a conversation holding the phone 3 feet from my ear in a semi-quiet room.

I do set the phone to the maximum output volume though.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks but I'm already there. I've posted my question in two of the their forums. I have had no responces yet.
That's just one of the reasons I love this place.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi sunspot,

Yes, it's very loud. No trouble hearing what so ever. It's very small and battery lfe is incredible! So far this is the best phone I have ever owned. It's digital only, no analog, so if your in a fringe area...calls could get dropped. But it does hold onto a digital signal far better than any phone I have ever owned.