Hope I Did OK?

01tundra

Newly Enlightened
Been doing a lot of research on here for an AA LED for general purpose use (mostly while camping or outside around the house).

Was looking for something that I didn't have to toggle through multiple settings, mostly just wanted a hi/lo setting. I already have Surefire 6P LED's with McClicky caps on my weapons, but so far have only bought a quality headlamp for general use........that was until today :p.

After reading opinions, reviews, etc on this forum I had it narrowed down to either a Fenix LD10 or a 4Sevens Quark Tactical AA.

I decided on the Quark Tactical AA, but went one step farther and hope I didn't screw up, I pre-purchased the S2 Edition that's about a month out (over the G5). I looked around, but didn't get a whole lot of info on the XP-G S2. From 4Sevens website it appeared that the S2's runtime was less than the G5, so I immediately discarded it, but after calling and talking to them it sounds like the runtime is basically about the same, just measured by different standards (S2 is measured by ANSI standards?). Anyways, it's unlike me to not over-analyze a purchase to death prior to making a decision........so I hope this doesn't come back to bite me.

I also picked up three AW R14500 batteries and a AW-139 charger with car adapter.

Last edited:

AlphaZen

Enlightened
I think you chose wisely, except for the painful wait. Quarks are well loved here, and I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Plus, you will have the newest version.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quarks are a great choice, the S2 is the most efficient emitter they have, so you definitely did good. I don't understand the ANSI standards, but I hear there strict.
:welcome:

Gaffle

Enlightened
Yeah, its getting to the point that a lumen rating must only amount to, say, 40% (at most) of a flashlight purchasing decision. These ratings are just out of control to some extent. You gotta look at build quality, beam type, runtime (regulation or Direct Drive), and warranty. Looking at the stats of the new Quarks with ANSI ratings compared to OTF ratings makes for a headache. Just know that the Quark will be plenty bright for every need you have around the house/outdoors.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
great choice.

This may not bother you at all but the only other thing to consider is tint. The S2 will be a cool tint. I am staying away from the 4sevens S2 lights for now because I really like neutral and warm tints. I've decided in the last couple weeks that I am pretty much done with the cool tints but that is 100% a personal preference thing. Nothing wrong the quark S2.

JS_280

Newly Enlightened
Excellent choice. I've been carrying the Quark AA Tactical every waking minute for the past six months now and love it. That light really shines with a 14500 rechargeable in it. One addition to mine that really topped it off was purchasing the flat, tactical tailcap from the Quark Turbo model. It gives you the best of both worlds, forward clicky with the ability to tail-stand.

Congrats on your purchase!

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have more than my share of pocket lights and the 4sevens Quark AA is one of my favorites, easily in my top 5 favorite pocket lights.

I initially dismissed the S2 but I think I'm already starting to get a little jealous. :)

woodentsick

Enlightened
Been doing a lot of research on here for an AA LED for general purpose use (mostly while camping or outside around the house).

Was looking for something that I didn't have to toggle through multiple settings, mostly just wanted a hi/lo setting. I already have Surefire 6P LED's with McClicky caps on my weapons, but so far have only bought a quality headlamp for general use........that was until today :p.

After reading opinions, reviews, etc on this forum I had it narrowed down to either a Fenix LD10 or a 4Sevens Quark Tactical AA.

I decided on the Quark Tactical AA, but went one step farther and hope I didn't screw up, I pre-purchased the S2 Edition that's about a month out (over the G5). I looked around, but didn't get a whole lot of info on the XP-G S2. From 4Sevens website it appeared that the S2's runtime was less than the G5, so I immediately discarded it, but after calling and talking to them it sounds like the runtime is basically about the same, just measured by different standards (S2 is measured by ANSI standards?). Anyways, it's unlike me to not over-analyze a purchase to death prior to making a decision........so I hope this doesn't come back to bite me.

I also picked up three AW R14500 batteries and a AW-139 charger with car adapter.

I think you mean R5 :thumbsup:
The S2 is a more efficient emitter, and since I presume it's only the LED that's changed, not the driver, and since the brightness is only slightly higher, it makes sense that the S2's runtime is greater than or equal to the R5.
Btw, you made a good choice. I just received my R5 AA-2 and I'm loving it, so the S2 can only be better, right?:laughing:

Good luck!!
woodentsick

01tundra

Newly Enlightened
First off, I really appreciate all the input.

The "green" tint thing does have me a little concerned......I guess time will only tell if I can live with that aspect.

I couldn't really tell if the whole S2 deal was good or not from 4Seven's web site. I read into it a little by seeing the listed runtimes lower and also the fact that they were only going to get a "limited supply" of them.....kind of made me think that maybe they were a new thing that didn't work out as well as planned.

I can already tell this is going to be another downward spiral for me......between camping gear, rock crawlers, knives, guns,.......what's another hobby right :laughing:?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would probably go with the neutral white version for camping. Outside around the house depends on how much vegetation you got. But the light is already ordered.
mostly while camping or outside around the house

The UI/operation.
-
AA S2
Loosened Bezel: Moonlight -> Low -> Medium -> High -> SOS -> Beacon
Tightened Bezel: Max -> Strobe
-
tactical AA S2
You program the Loosened Bezel and Tightened Bezel with the level/mode you want. Then you have a 2 mode light with only the levels that are useful to you. Program instructions here (7:09 video):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtrg1ivqJtg
-
For most people the 19 lumen medium is probably the most useful indoors. But it is the third mode with the AA S2. Loosen bezel, click, click-click, click-click.
With the AA tactical you can program medium as your loosen bezel mode. Then Loosen bezel, click.
If you use more than 2 levels/modes it might be easier to just cycle through the modes of the AA S2.

Does anyone know the difference between the tactical AA S2 vs the AA S2?