short wave radio

raggie33

*the raggedier*
What does it do?Does it get chanels like 1000 miles away?I just got one.And i would like to know a little about it.

TOB9595

Enlightened
I'll learn along with you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I just got a sangean 909. It receives great but I'm VERY lame on the SW end /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The 60 foot wire antenna makes a difference in receiving.
I haven't put the time in to learn yet. Just set up the antenna and dial around.

What model radio did you get?
There's a wealth of info at this recent thread also Shortwave Q's
Tom

Empath

Flashaholic
The shortwave frequencies behave differently at different times of the day, year or whatever. If you become involved enough, you can access propagation charts to assist you in figuring what wavelengths are behaving in what manner.

Basically the difference is that it bounces off the ionosphere, and is reflected back to earth, sometimes with multiple bounces. It allows you to receive something that's being broadcast from an entirely different part of the globe.

A good online resource for information is Grove Enterprises' Monitoring Times Site. provided by

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Thank you.So far its is very neat.But you here some odd stuff.IT has 12 bands.am fm lw and the rest are short wave

TOB9595

Enlightened
I've pulled in lots from Australia /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Don't have it documented with times, freq, etc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Tom

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i love my radio she is so kewl. sounds so good was 7.99 not bad price at all