But I Can't Part with ANY of Them! :-(

recDNA

Flashaholic
I visit the BST thread in the Marketplace just about every day. I've sold there and purchased there and it's just great! Fact is it has somewhat restored my faith in strangers because everyone I've dealt with there has been super! It doesn't come naturally to me to trust people but since I don't have PayPal I just send my money off to perfect strangers and actually expect them to send my a quality product...and you know what? They always do!

Anyway...every time I visit I think to myself that I really need to sell some of my flashlights before I purchase any more so I sat down to make up a list.

Masterpiece Pro 1? Can't do it. It's my only real thrower and it's lots of fun.

Titanium Quarks? Only wish I bought more of them when I could have.

Eagletac T20C2? In my wife's car - she'd kill me.

Eagletac P20C2 Mark II? In my car - no way. Had to check a tire last week in the pitch dark. P20C2 lit up the entire area.

TK40? Best emergency light I have - in fact only real emergency light I have.

D26 hosts? Well my drop ins have to live somewhere!

MG PLI? Good flashlight - wouldn't get enough $ for it to bother. Same with my Xtar Cree MC-E.

4Sevens Mini? Not worth the bother to sell.

So bottom line is I have more flashlights than I need or even want but I either can't part with them or they're not worth enough money to bother.

I'm frustrated. What the heck am I going to do when the XM-L comes out???? lovecpf

Anybody else got this problem? What the heck do you do about it?

SureAddicted

Enlightened
You need to discipline yourself.

I visit the BST thread in the Marketplace just about every day.
Problem #1, the more you shop the more spend.

Titanium Quarks? Only wish I bought more of them when I could have.
Problem #2, you say that you have more lights than you need or want, why would you want more Quarks?

D26 hosts? Well my drop ins have to live somewhere!
Why can't you sell the drop ins?

You would feel much better about yourself if you sell off the lights you don't need or want. You might not get much for them, but down the track you probably won't get anything for them.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Of course you're right. It's just that when I think of the hassle of selling them, then mailing them, and the amount of money I get for them won't really be worth it. Since I don't have PayPal it is even more of a pain. (no I don't want PayPal - boring story)

I could probably sell a 6P and a L2p with Thrunite 1.5 amp XP-G 's but then I'd have no use for the Li Ion batteries and you can't send them through the mail so I can't sell the batteries. I don't think it would be smart to part with the Nailbender SST-50 and I only have one C2 so that's a keeper.

I know - just excuses. I suppose I could put them on the Marketplace and pull them back if I didn't get a good price but everybody is looking for a bargain. I am too.

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to make a list of what you own and how you use (or plan to use) each light. That is what I do. It helps me to know which lights to buy and which to sell. I just did this the other day and realized I have some duplicates that I don't need so I am parthing with a couple more lights in the next couple days. I try to do this on a regular basis. Of course I have three more coming in too - oops.

current Example:

Zebralight SC60 - great for house projects where I need lots of flood
Zebralight SC50w+ - used at night when trying not to wake anybody
Javelin w/ Malkoff M31w - wife uses around the house
Maelstrom G5 - My light when we go for walks
EagleTac T20C2 MKII - wifes walking light (XR-E and XP-G dropins)
EagleTac M3C4 (3 x XR-E) - coyotee/deer/skunk/wild life spotter
M2C4 w/ SSC P7 - attached to tractor for snow plowing
Fenix LD40 - not sure, just got it - keep it next to the bed for emergencies
Fenix LD20 - don't really need - time to sell
Quark 123 neutral - EDC duty shared with SC50+
Zebralight SC30 - great light, don't really use - time to sell
Jetbeam RRT-2 - sold - did not use
Jetbeam RRT-1 - sold, looking for a used DEFT HO or FTP to replace it.
Nitecore SR3 - not needed - sold
VaraPower 2000 - bumps in the night/outside - Do I need a reason - it's awesome :devil:

Above is part of my list. If I can't find a use for it, it goes no matter how great the light may be. I was getting over-run with lights before I adopted this. There have been a whole host of others that I purchased to try and could not find uses for so I sell. There is another pile that I still need to sell. It may not seem worth it to sell a quark head for $20 or an SC30 for $40 but it all adds up and I put it toward more lights.

Last edited:

cambel

Newly Enlightened
I have been in the same situation, not with lights cause its new to me, but with other things. I'd take the ones that I dont want, AS MUCH as the others and give them to my friends and family. I bet the people that know you think your nuts for buying all these lights. If you give them away to the people that you care about in your life, they will understand you better by owning one, and they will appreciate it more because they know how much you like your lights. It's a hard thing to do but its easier for me to give my loved ones presents than it is to sell them to a stranger. Maybe not your cup of tea but I have a few close friends that I do things like that with and it makes everyone happy. My buddy just gave me his old laptop perfect condition maybe a year old, the week before I gave him a bonsai tree. Your true friends show and you build stronger bonds, and best of all now you have a reason to buy that new light you wanted.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first time I sold some lights I had to think "what's a reasonable number of lights to have" - I selected the number 30. Then I had to say, well the light under the driver seat doesn't count, the one in the bathroom, the 3 on the work bench, the one in the basement by the couch, etc... you get the picture.

I'm in the selling mode now - but cannot figure which to well, I've got 4 moddoo triples - various vintages, M2 SST-50, Dark Zero Camo Mag SST50, malkoff M30, M60s, couple nailbender dropins, Sabrewolf mini-chimera & taglight & 18650 edc, McGizmos XRU, 27LT, PD (AL & Ti), Ti Mile, AL Mule, Haiku, LS20, LS27 (both AlTiN & a C-Pak in AlTiN) & 2 2-pak McClickies (one splash Ano'd, one DLC) with creemator heads (one TIR, one reflector), some other Milky(s). Mac's EDC SST50 (Ti Warm). Most P60 hosts are custom HA or cerakote(d).

I use the majority of the lights. What to sell....

JCDLE

Newly Enlightened
You sound like me with handguns. I open up the safe, look at them, and think about selling the ones I rarely shoot. But then I think, what about all the hell I went through to buy them? The thrill of the kill.... Nice weapons. You know these are good guns, and if you buy a new one, there are no guarantees....

If you don't HAVE to sell them, keep them. You'll be happier in the end. Trust me.

Keep on buying. Don't look back. :devil:

recDNA

Flashaholic
You sound like me with handguns. I open up the safe, look at them, and think about selling the ones I rarely shoot. But then I think, what about all the hell I went through to buy them? The thrill of the kill.... Nice weapons. You know these are good guns, and if you buy a new one, there are no guarantees....

If you don't HAVE to sell them, keep them. You'll be happier in the end. Trust me.

Keep on buying. Don't look back. :devil:

Only one handgun. I stay OUT of the store and dropped my handgun mag subscription. I could have very easily gotten hooked. It would have cost a lot more than flashlights! I have a friend who buys each and every hot new handgun that comes out (already has all the classics) then we take it to the range to try it (I bring the ammo)..he cleans it, wraps it, stores it in the safe and I don't think he ever takes them out again. What a sale HE could have. Like us with our flashlights the man enjoys having them and taking them out once in a while. Life is short.

Another guy at the club has all of his 45's modded. More works of art than firearms but HE's a marksman. He gave me the lessons for my licence gratis. Great guy. Same guy collects watches. Real watches. One of his watches cost more than my new car and it was pre-owned! He's good about recycling his watches and firearms though. He doesn't get attached like I do to my flashlights.

I'm lucky I don't like knives. Man, that's a killer hobby.

When I read about having FOUR Oveready triples I don't feel bad for holding onto a couple of XP-G's! And "some other" Milkies like they're old LD01's or something!!! Thanks! :twothumbs

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been in the same situation, not with lights cause its new to me, but with other things. I'd take the ones that I dont want, AS MUCH as the others and give them to my friends and family. I bet the people that know you think your nuts for buying all these lights. If you give them away to the people that you care about in your life, they will understand you better by owning one, and they will appreciate it more because they know how much you like your lights. It's a hard thing to do but its easier for me to give my loved ones presents than it is to sell them to a stranger. Maybe not your cup of tea but I have a few close friends that I do things like that with and it makes everyone happy. My buddy just gave me his old laptop perfect condition maybe a year old, the week before I gave him a bonsai tree. Your true friends show and you build stronger bonds, and best of all now you have a reason to buy that new light you wanted.

a really great idea.

recDNA

Flashaholic
My problem is I tend to buy Li Ion or CR123 powered lights and my friends/family wouldn't want to bother with the exotic batteries. I hate to think of a Surefire gathering dust and scratches in the tool drawer while my brother insists on using his Maglite. They also don't like that my flashlights get hot. "Maglites don't get hot. Have you tried a Maglite?" Of course I'd love to try a Varapower 2000 but I don't think that's what they have in mind!

Of course any of my friends at the range would be happy to take any Surefires off of my hands. I still haven't gotten over selling my LX2!

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although my earlier response was obviously jesting at the flashaholic addiction - I do understand what you mean.

I am constantly looking at my collection. Evaluating each light, it's pros, cons, how much it took to find it, if I would ever be able to replace it, etc. I always feel guilty with how many lights I have (just about 40) and trying to figure out which ones I can sell. Ultimately there are some which I am collecting to actually have a collection (e-series Surefires of many different vintages) and others which server certain purposes.

Earlier in my collecting I was just learning what lights worked for me and which ones didn't. So my sales were clear cut - I sold the lights that just didn't work for me. Now after a year or so I know exactly what light I like - so it makes picking ones to sell much harder.

I wish you luck in you quest.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider giving away locally the lights which you consider not worth selling. That's what I've been doing. One to my neighbor, one to the plumber, two to the dentist, another to the electrician, ...

If you cannot bear to part with any light, you might find the A&E TV show "Hoarders" worth viewing. :grin2:

richpalm

Banned
Of course you're right. It's just that when I think of the hassle of selling them, then mailing them, and the amount of money I get for them won't really be worth it.....

I know - just excuses. I suppose I could put them on the Marketplace and pull them back if I didn't get a good price but everybody is looking for a bargain. I am too.

Aww... I'm the same way. Just not a salesman and then the hassle of shipping, etc. I have older, but good stuff on the MP right now and barely any response. I reach a sudden saturation point after enough of this and then lose patience-when I want to get rid of something, it's gotta go *now.*

At least that's my poor attitude on the matter.:shrug:

jcalvert

Enlightened
You need to make a list of what you own and how you use (or plan to use) each light. That is what I do. It helps me to know which lights to buy and which to sell. I just did this the other day and realized I have some duplicates that I don't need so I am parthing with a couple more lights in the next couple days. I try to do this on a regular basis. Of course I have three more coming in too - oops.

current Example:

Zebralight SC60 - great for house projects where I need lots of flood
Zebralight SC50w+ - used at night when trying not to wake anybody
Javelin w/ Malkoff M31w - wife uses around the house
Maelstrom G5 - My light when we go for walks
EagleTac T20C2 MKII - wifes walking light (XR-E and XP-G dropins)
EagleTac M3C4 (3 x XR-E) - coyotee/deer/skunk/wild life spotter
M2C4 w/ SSC P7 - attached to tractor for snow plowing
Fenix LD40 - not sure, just got it - keep it next to the bed for emergencies
Fenix LD20 - don't really need - time to sell
Quark 123 neutral - EDC duty shared with SC50+
Zebralight SC30 - great light, don't really use - time to sell
Jetbeam RRT-2 - sold - did not use
Jetbeam RRT-1 - sold, looking for a used DEFT HO or FTP to replace it.
Nitecore SR3 - not needed - sold
VaraPower 2000 - bumps in the night/outside - Do I need a reason - it's awesome :devil:

Above is part of my list. If I can't find a use for it, it goes no matter how great the light may be. I was getting over-run with lights before I adopted this. There have been a whole host of others that I purchased to try and could not find uses for so I sell. There is another pile that I still need to sell. It may not seem worth it to sell a quark head for $20 or an SC30 for $40 but it all adds up and I put it toward more lights.

tre,

Check your PMs. Thanks!

John

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of my light's are CR123 and if I give them away most people would not use them, I've even asked a couple friends and they said the battery's cost to much and they rather not even bother buying battery's online.

As for light's that are not worth a whole lot my thought is even if my net gain is only $20-$30 dollars I still feel really good selling it to a fellow enthusiast who may either enjoy it more than me or maybe it's just at the right price they can afford to own a nice light.

Part of it is getting more money so I can buy something I really must have at the time and a big part of it is, this might sound really cheesy but I love spreading the love/light and letting others enjoy. Most of the time I know I sell to members who probably have has many lights as me and even more but every now and then it might be someone new to lights and just catching the bug so I like to get them hooked if I can, I'm bad I know. :)

Think of it like this to if you sell one light without much profit ok but if you sell 4 or 5 of them then your in business and you can spend that on something you really want or will want.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have to? That is the real question.

I have so many torches and I have a section of a drawer which holds my archive of old or backup torches.

The first and foremost reason I keep some that I don't use, is as backups.

There are three that are exclusively for hunting as I mainly go lamping. These are a red Lukeon K2, Cree R2, and a zoomable Q5. This set covers all my needs for the actual hunt. Then there is the headlight I use when getting ready, so that makes four. For each and every one of these critical tasks I have a backup light, not just battery but whole spare light. I don't carry them on me, but keep them in the car so I can get it if one fails. So already that is 8 where four are only backups.

Then we get onto other tasks, and again yet more torches for each different one. Each the best (I could afford) for that task, and each with a backup.

Then there is my light archive which has my 2 old perfectly working Maglite Solitaires, my TerraLux upgraded Mini Maglite (only something liek 10Lm, but twice as bright as the normal bulb) all of which are good lights, the Terralux upgrade not being very bright, but will run for 24 hours on AAs that are already run down. A couple of cheap AAA and AA led lights and a spare P60 Cree R2 drop in and host.

The backups are not worth selling but do provide that trusted spare.

Certain ones I do give away to friends and family, but only the simple ones without loads of modes.

As for new ones, well I have slowed down and now really need to justify the next purchase.

For me the next one is the Zebralight H51. It has a great form factor, interface and for me crucially the moon mode.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Consider giving away locally the lights which you consider not worth selling. That's what I've been doing. One to my neighbor, one to the plumber, two to the dentist, another to the electrician, ...

If you cannot bear to part with any light, you might find the A&E TV show "Hoarders" worth viewing. :grin2:
As I said...any I might give away require cr123 or li ion. No sence giving that to someone unfamiliar with the batteries.