which emitter from nailbender?

maxsutter

Newly Enlightened
I have a solarforce l2x regular 1 18650 and the l2x extended which uses 2 18650 -

which 2 emitters would you buy from nailbender?

I have used the solarfoce xpg r5 5 mode. and I have an aurora sh-42 sst-50

My thoughts were his double xpg for the single 18650 and the sst-90 for the double as a monster light...

thoughts?

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
By "double xp-g" do you mean linger special? If so be aware it is pretty much a flood light with no hot spot but TONS of useful light. I've read that the SST 90 has a lot of flood to it too (but not all flood)

I have several Nailbender modules (actually that's ALL I have)

1. Linger special 4000k tint
  2. XP-G 3-mode 4000k tint
  3. XR-E with 8 degree optic single mode VERY WARM TINT 8E7(I think)
  4. XP-G KT tower module 4000k tint

My next one is going to be the SST50 I think.

IMHO if you are looking at TWO modules get one that's floody (linger) and one that throw's well XR-E, XP-E, XP-G

maxsutter

Newly Enlightened
ok the double tube solarforce l2x etended - I was thinking this was to be the MONSTER light.

and the single - well the double xpg seems to be the way to go.

here is what I summize - that the sst-50 and sst-90 are older technology compared to the xpg. that a double or triple xpg will put these 2 to shame..

Cooter

Newly Enlightened
The SST-90 from Dave is a beast. Very bright and floody. The Linger special is a very nice drop-in. Not as bright as the SST-90 but its impressive. For the money, the Linger special is a great drop-in.

You better check your voltage. I think Dave's drop-ins wont work on 2 18650 batteries

The SST-50 is nothing to sneeze at either. Its a very nice drop-in too.

Last edited:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
SST50/90 and XP-G are all newer tech, it's just how they put out light that makes the difference. The linger special crams TWO xp-g dies side-by-side in ONE reflector and that causes the focus to be mostly flood due to neither die being centered in the reflector yet puts out ALL the short/medium range light you would ever need (400-500 Lumens). I don't have personal experience with SST emitters but I read A LOT on here before I purchase. I gather that in a P60 style module the SST 50 has better throw and the SST90 is a "wall of light"
I've had my eye on oveready's Triple XP-G module for my "monster light" but have yet to convince myself to shell out the $155. Send Nailbender a PM, he was most helpful with all my questions and concerns.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the 2 x 18650 I highly recommend the moddoo triple - the current XP-G triple has reasonable throw and is a "WALL of light" & runs on 2 Li-ions (I run mine with 2x18500s, but do have 2 2x18650 bodies). I like the 3 level so you can run it at medium and it stays cool. GET THE NEUTRAL! It's shocking in the absolute dark how "flat" a cool LED is, versus the 3 dimensional view from a neutral LED (or incan).

I like the SST-50 dropin from Nailbender, nice spot, good throw from a small (p60) drop-in.

I also have a linger special - doesn't get too hot, not as much of a wall of light as the moddoo triple - but it's a pile less.

maxsutter

Newly Enlightened
how many lumens is the linger double xpg in comparison to the sst-50 and sst-90