WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Re: WE\'RE ALL GONNA DIE!

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

The odds sound long, but its still over 12X more likely than me winning the lottery /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

sloegin

Newly Enlightened

Wait a second, I thought we were all going to die when the Mayan calendar ended in 2012. Very interesting though.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another excuse to buy more "emergency" flashlights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

iddibhai

Enlightened

2012 + tax = 2014. i guess the two things in life that are certain *are* intertwined, eh?

snuffy

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Pi_is_blue said:
Another excuse to buy more "emergency" flashlights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
If it does hit we'll need a lot more than lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2dogs

Enlightened

This is another great reason for the fed to spend more money. This (I think) was predicted in a book from the 50s. Anyone know the name?

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

Asteroid, smashteroid....

let's start rioting now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Maybe I'll start getting more sleep in preparation for all the partying we'll be doing.

-Jason

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Comet Swift-Tuttle is sceduled to miss Earth by 15 days in 2126. This information comes from the "Sources and Acknowledgments" chapter of the novel "The Hammer of God" by Arthur C. Clark. A story about a near (60km) miss with a meteor.

Darell

Flashaholic

Jeez. I'm staying inside that day.

That last pass across the sky BEFORE the impact will sure be something spectacluar, huh?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

good thing we're a very small bullzeye on a very huge dartboard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, I have a possible solution. Did you all know that light can and does exert pressure?

Yep it does.

So, what we all do is find the direction of this asteriod and get every Flashaholic worldwide to turn on and aim their flashlights in it's direction. The photon pressure should be enough to move this thing away.

Well maybe,

GregR /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Let's see....2014....note to self....clear calender....and DUCK!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Seriously now, the astronomers will have to track it for a while to more accurately determine its trajectory. But until then, just remember "One big rock can ruin your whole day". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Dan

raggie33

*the raggedier*

well lucky for me i dont live on earth.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

it's a bird...it's a plane...oh shi-<font color="red">boom</font>

snuffy

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Wits' End said:
Has anyone read Lucifer's Hammer?

[/ QUOTE ]
Great book - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I've read it a half a dozen times since it was published back in 1977. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif