One question about a flashlight- is it that bright?!?

titanium84

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys! I'm new here, and i will introduce myself! My name is Anton, and i'm from Bulgaria! Enough introducing :laughing:
Last night i realised that i'm a torch freak, when i've did a count on the flashlights that i have... and the number is 6. And this count includes only the expensive one's! Such as Fenix TK12, Inova X5, Xo3 and so...

And now the question finally:
I've noticed that this lightpiece is announced for the dizzy 1000 lumens http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290389297473&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

But i have worry, that the cinese seller being a chinese seller, could be lieing about it's lumen's.

What do you think? Is it possible for a 3x CR123 batteries opperated torch to produce 1000 lumens?

I need advice, because i want to buy a cheap and powerful one which to replace my dead everyday inova radiant ;(

Thanks in advance!!!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF. :wave: Pretty impossible for that flashlight to produce 1000 lumens with a 1.2 amp bulb driven at 1.5 amp

Bill

Last edited:

TITANER

Newly Enlightened
I've noticed that this lightpiece is announced for the dizzy 1000 lumens http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290389297473&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

But i have worry, that the cinese seller being a chinese seller, could be lieing about it's lumen's.

What do you think? Is it possible for a 3x CR123 batteries opperated torch to produce 1000 lumens?
Hello titanium84:welcome:.At first ,you words about" i have worry, that the cinese seller being a chinese seller, could be lieing about it's lumen's" hunt my heart.Yes, he is a chinese seller ,so what ? Fenix and Jetbeam ,Olight are chinese brands.At second,i'm sure it is impossible for surefire just sale US $8.99.:)

jellydonut

Enlightened
Hello,

eBay = completely unreliable. Ridiculous specifications are thrown around everywhere. Don't trust eBay sellers at all.

This light is more likely to produce perhaps 60-110 lumens.

I would suggest, if you want a bright, cheap light, to read around here on the forum - but especially the budget section. There are many resellers that people rely on here for cheap, decent flashlights without getting scammed.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
No... that incan LA is not that bright.

Maybe 300-350L at the very most.... somewhere in between a SF-P91 and a P90.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect that they have labelled the bulb as follows:

"Xenon 9V/1.2A 1000 LUMEN"

It would be like me putting a sticker on my little car "Geo Metro 1L/3cylinder 500 HorsePower." Clearly I could sell it as Car Name: Geo Metro 1L/3cylinder 500 HorsePower. But that doesn't change the fact that it's maybe 50 :p

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Hmm... My understanding is....

A 100W incan Halogen lamp produces ~900 bulb lumens at ~13.5 Volts. That equates to a 7+ Amp current draw. (someone please correct me if I am wrong)

In a 501C host, you're talking about a 9 volt application. So its going to need a crap load of current (more than 7A) to get anything even close to 1000 Lumens OTF. Factoring in refractive, reflective and resistive losses of the overall design, this lamp would need to emit ~1200 bulb lumens to come even close to that 1000L mark.

I do not know what the maximum safe discharge rate is for a CR123 primary cell. I would venture to guess that a 1000 OTF lumens incan setup is not a safe design using 3xCR123 cells as the power source.

The reality however is that this is at most a 300 Lumen light, so thankfully that is a much safer design than they advertise.

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys! I'm new here, and i will introduce myself! My name is Anton, and i'm from Bulgaria! Enough introducing :laughing:
Last night i realised that i'm a torch freak, when i've did a count on the flashlights that i have... and the number is 6. And this count includes only the expensive one's! Such as Fenix TK12, Inova X5, Xo3 and so...

I need advice, because i want to buy a cheap and powerful one which to replace my dead everyday inova radiant ;(

Thanks in advance!!!
:welcome:
No, that light will produce no more than 200 lumens (max). Probably closer to 175 lumens. Definitely not 1000!

kramer5150: A 100W halogen should produce way more that 900 bulb lumens. Probably closer to 2000. But nonetheless, you are correct that it is absolutely impossible for that light to produce anywhere near 1000 lumens. A SureFire P91 pushes 3xCR123 cells to the safety limit and it is about 17W.

-Robert

Last edited: