Drop in for 6P with most throw?

BaileyMoto

Newly Enlightened
Since my 6p will likely end up on my AR-15, I am looking for a drop in with the most throw. Considering the Malkoff M61, but it appears that throw isn't where it shines? (Don't you hate it when people say "pun intended" ? :laughing: )

Anywho, what is your suggestion for a good thrower?

jellydonut

Enlightened
The predecessor, the Malkoff M60, has a more throwy beam than your previous consideration, the M61. It has a brighter and tighter hotspot rather than the wide hotspot of the M61. Both the retailers I linked in the other thread also carry this item.

Nailbender also carries the same kind of components, 8 degree optics for Cree XR-Es https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/282416, so he can build a similar type of dropin. If you end up buying from Dave make sure to also order the potting option and point out your 6P host and that it will go on a weapon.

BaileyMoto

Newly Enlightened
The predecessor, the Malkoff M60, has a more throwy beam than your previous consideration, the M61. It has a brighter and tighter hotspot rather than the wide hotspot of the M61. Both the retailers I linked in the other thread also carry this item.

Nailbender also carries the same kind of components, 8 degree optics for Cree XR-Es https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/282416, so he can build a similar type of dropin. If you end up buying from Dave make sure to also order the potting option and point out your 6P host and that it will go on a weapon.

Awesome.

Great advice, thank you.

jac2001

Newly Enlightened
Most will agree that a Cree XR-E R2 in a smooth reflector will give the best throw in the P60 format. The drop-in I got in this format was built by user Nailbender. He states on the drop-in it is rated at 260 lm (Dave says his numbers are slightly underrated.), and easily is the throwiest small light I've seen. It cost me about $30 or so. $5 more I believe if it is fully potted.

Easily out throws my SF LX2 which out threw my M60 before that.

Hope it helps.

J

jellydonut

Enlightened
I didn't know a reflector in such a small format could produce good throw. Sounds like a good candidate!

tsmccull

Newly Enlightened
Tightest beam drop-in I have is a D26-LED 3-mode unit from LumensFactory. It's tighter than their single mode I also received and less than half the beamwidth of my M61. Don't know if it was the luck of the draw or whether they're all that tight, but it even has a slightly narrower hotspot at the same distances when compared to my Quark Turbo (roughly the same diameter, but obviously not a drop-in). I'm just comparing the hotspot here, not including spill obviously.

BaileyMoto

Newly Enlightened
Any of you know what the throw of your average drop in would compare to the likes of the Fenix TK11/TK12 in terms of throw?

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The throw should be similar. The reflectors are the same size on a tk11 and a normal p60 drop in. Smooth reflector and a xr-e r2 should give the best throw in a p60.
The big difference between a tk11 and a multi mode p60 is the ui. If you want to use momentary on your gun light, stick with a single mode p60 or you will change modes everytime you try to use the momentary. I prefer headtwist like the tk11 to change modes on all my lights.

BaileyMoto

Newly Enlightened
The throw should be similar. The reflectors are the same size on a tk11 and a normal p60 drop in. Smooth reflector and a xr-e r2 should give the best throw in a p60.
The big difference between a tk11 and a multi mode p60 is the ui. If you want to use momentary on your gun light, stick with a single mode p60 or you will change modes everytime you try to use the momentary. I prefer headtwist like the tk11 to change modes on all my lights.

Nah, just wondering in terms of throw, as I am somewhat familiar with the throw of the TK11 and TK12. One of the reasons I am going for the 6p with a drop in over other lights is because of that - No fancy UI's and electronics. :)

BaileyMoto

Newly Enlightened
Any more suggestions? About to pull the trigger and am looking for a 6p drop in with the most throw/brightest hot spot. I figure I can always add a diffuser for jobs where a little more flood is required.

Thanks