Pistol Grip Handheld Spot For Ranch

praycop

Newly Enlightened
After scouring through forum posts, as required, here is my question.

I have to buy two pistol grip hand held spots for our security team working a 6000 acre ranch. We are all retired LE so the pistol seems to be the likely type to go with plus its form factor makes sense. In my opinion, the perfect setup for us would be a light that has some sort of holder that would also be a recharger much like the old Streamlight SL20 that we used in the patrol car back in the day. We drive a Ford F150 4x4 so there is plenty of space for mounting a charging unit. My guess is the light will be the same as used for spotting coyotes, deer, etc. which we have lots of out here in northern California.

Additionally we are a little rough on equipment and durability is a must. We don't want something fragile. Our budget is about $100 a piece or so. Can I get some suggestions?

Much appreciated...:)
Rob

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Are these to be used away from the vehicle, or can you go with a 12V light supplied from a lighter socket?

After years of using Unity Spotlights on Vol. Fire rigs (and my own work rigs here on a hydroelectric project), I learned that built-in spots that don't get used very often will become maintenance headaches. I started really liking pistolgrip lights that would be locked on (not just a momentary switch) and had the optional magnetic base. We were always shorthanded in the VFD, and I wasn't going to tie up a person just to hold a light. Snap the magnet onto the hood, lock the switch on, aim it at the car in the ditch or whatever you need, and walk away from it.

As I recall, LSI had some lights like this.

There used to be a "NiteOwl" brand that had a magbase, too. I see they're here: http://www.wfharrislighting.com/spotlights-44/ And they do have some sort of rechargeable.

BTW, we're still using a Collins Dynamics light at work: not state of the art these days, but it has two H2 bulbs, so you have "spot" and "flood." It's a light socket version, though they did have a slip-on Sealed Lead Acid battery option as I recall.

I recently ordered a fresh SLA and a 20W halogen bulb for our Streamlight LiteBox. Those are available in LED these days, ours is definitely not state of the art, but it's pretty durable and still liked by many fire/rescue agencies.

I'm interested in the Stanley HID and the Ryobi HID (I already have a Ryobi One+ tool kit, so have two of the 18V batteries).

We have a couple of Q-Beams at work, one sealed beam and one with H3 halogen bulb. Old hat today, but they work -- or do after I replaced a switch on one.

Note: Almost all 12V light socket powered handheld spots have too-small cords. Having recently ordered, I can tell you that zipcord is available in 14, 12 and even 10 gauge. Voltage drop really drops bulb output. I've replaced lots of cords, as well as making cords when converting failed 6V SLA rechargeables to functional 12V handheld spots.

In general, I've had poor luck with the portable pistolgrip lights I've had. For some reason, they make 'em with 6v H3 bulbs and a too-small 6 volt SLA battery that quickly dies (in real life, nobody follows the ideal charge/discharge cycle for the SLA battery; they use the light when it's needed and put it on charge when it's not). If they were engineered as 12V, at least you could have a "run from the lighter socket" option, when the battery was low, not just a 12V charge option.

Good Luck

Last edited: