any recommendations on a usb hub for my computer?

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to add a good quality usb hub to my computer, I thought that 4 that it came with would be enough but it isn't. Anyone have one that they can recommend?

LightChucker

Enlightened
For external solutions, Belkin is a good name-brand. Be sure to get one that is powered or you will have problems with some devices.

You should also consider installing another USB board inside your computer.

Chuck

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: any recommendations on a usb hub for my comput

As LightChucker stated....Belkin is a reputable brand. My only other advice is to get one that has an external power supply specifically for the usb hub itself. USB ports actually supply power to the devices which are plugged into them which can add to your power supply's load..depending on the device/devices already plugged in it could be significant. Also, and generally causes the most problems is insufficient power to the usb device could cause that device to not function properly. This is because you plug a usb hub into one port...that one port now has to supply power to multiple devices plugged into the hub. These things being the case, an externally powered usb hub would always be able to supply any devices plugged into it with adequate power.

mike

p.s LightChucker......I like the new name. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brock

Flashaholic

You might want to get a USB2 compatible hub, or possible get an additional internal board with USB2 compatibility. It is suppose to be a LOT faster and more things seem to be using it.

TOB9595

Enlightened

The usb2 hub is MUCH more costly than the usb2 card.
Belkin was a cinch to install the card. Tho they probably all are equally easy. If all you desire is usb1 than they are plentiful and inexpensive for hub or card.
Belkin stands by their product tho I have used the generics for usb2 with zero problems.
If you're gonna go Belkin look at their refurb page. Some cost savings there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom

star882

Enlightened

Just note that you can't connect one hub into another(I used Belkin hubs, BTW).
040903-USB%20overload.jpg