Found a new job!

wquiles

Flashaholic
As many of you know I have been unemployed for the last 6 months due to being laid off (company going out of business). Tomorrow I start a new job, which is great for the family and myself, but that also means that it will not be able to take on new larger projects or full custom mods in the near term. Although I will keep supporting/selling the PhD-M6 and the 1xD Custom Mags, please keep in mind that it might now take me a little bit longer to answer emails or reply on my subscribed threads.

Will

Last edited:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations!!!!! I am also starting a new job after being laid off for 9 months. I hope this is a sign the economy is coming back, so we will be buying more flashlights.

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats.....I know how hard it is getting laid off...good luck on your new job!

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats! I started my new job a year ago (Nov 2nd actually) after being off for 6 months as well. A little unfortunately it puts me up in Chicago with a house I cannot sell in Cincinnati - my wife & dogs live in it. I was just thankful to get a good job.

Acid87

Enlightened
Congrats.
Unfortunatly the job front over here is pretty rubbish. Even as a graduate from University jobs at supermarkets are hard to come by. Not that im trying to make you feel bad.

Good luck

wquiles

Flashaholic
Understand perfectly. I got some friends/co-workers still looking with no luck, so yes, the job market is still not fully recovered. Employers are being extremely picky, so even great candidates are not being considered because they are not a 100% match of the "ideal" candidate. But you have to keep looking and never give up. Keep networking with friends, colleagues, etc., and make sure your resume is available and visible on all of the pertinent job boards for your field, so that you can be found as well.

Good luck :D

Will

StageGadgets

Newly Enlightened
To all the job seekers out there:

Someone gave me good advice some time ago. Don't look for jobs that are posted in newspapers, online, etc. Instead think about what type of job YOU would like to do, and then consider what company you'd like to work for. Be open-minded, ("my old company, my old job" is not forward thinking!) 80% of available jobs are not posted, and remain 'hidden' for various reasons. When a company receives an unsolicited resume from a person *genuinely* interested in working for them (as opposed to answering every employment ad in the paper that day) they WILL remember you, and they WILL put you on the top of their list of candidates when an opening does pop up.

HR departments are also notoriously tight-lipped about future hirings at their own companies, but call them up and ask them about *other* companies in a similar business, and they'll tell you all they know! (ie: the company down the street IS hiring! Or is about to hire.) And again, they'll remember your name when jobs open in the future.

Scott W.
Owner
Commercial link removed - Empath

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats Will.

I know how hard it is to find work these days....my wife was let go in February and still has not found anything :(

wquiles

Flashaholic

It is hard to find a job, and will remain hard for the near term. One very good tip to pass around is to not only keep your resume on several job boards, but also go and make simple changes on it - anything. This forces the web site software to "point out" that the resume has been changed/updated, which makes it more visible for a short while. If you do this about every month, your resume is a tad more visible. And don't be afraid of re-shuffling your resume around some from time to time - maybe changing the style from chronological to one based on duties/accomplishments, and vice-versa - keeping it "fresh" makes it more likely that recruiters will find it as well.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently joined you in the ranks of the re-employed. The first thing I "bought" was a CPF subscription. The admins were so suprised their system crashed.

Thrifty

wquiles

Flashaholic
I recently joined you in the ranks of the re-employed. The first thing I "bought" was a CPF subscription. The admins were so suprised their system crashed.

Thrifty

Hang in there bud!

I have recently been talking with some other friends/colleagues that were without a job, and although it has taken them many months, they are starting to get jobs. And like it happened to me, you go through dry periods of time with no hits/interviews, and then all of the sudden you get 2/3 of them. Keep trying and never give up.

Will

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats! I started my new job a year ago (Nov 2nd actually) after being off for 6 months as well. A little unfortunately it puts me up in Chicago with a house I cannot sell in Cincinnati - my wife & dogs live in it. I was just thankful to get a good job.

After 16 months of working in Chicago I've accepted a job with my previous employer and am moving back to my house (& wife) in Cincinnati (that I couldn't afford to sell, and couldn't afford not to sell (living in Chicago)).

ASheep

Enlightened
Congrats Wquiles! Hope you enjoy the new job. I've recently found a job with flexible enough hours to allow me to work and complete my degree.
I hope you'll keep producing the PhD-M6, as I've always wanted an M6 with one of these fitted, and I'm sure many other will agree it's a much valued mod here in our community!

Cheers,
Alex