Stuck between lights - Nova/HDS

Irelandunfree

Newly Enlightened
Looking for my next light to add to the collection, there is something about these medium style pocket lights that I am in love with. I am between the NovaTac 120p and the HDS EDC Executive. Both have the strobe feature, available in a natural finish and are around the same price. From the members experience what light would you select? Usage would range from in the case to in the coat pocket (clip not necessary). Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS is a bit longer, but has better regulation, longer run time, and is an upgraded version of the NovaTac. The HDS will have better customer service and I think is built much tougher.

Unless you just have the have the slightly shorter NovaTac, the HDS is by far the better light.

notsofast

Enlightened
Like the others have said HDS is superior. The differences are in print if you search around a bit.

Another was to tell is look how many HDS/Ra threads compared to NovaTac.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS, has a great following. I think it's a must have for flashaholics.
On the bright side, if you buy it and don't like it there are lots of people that'll buy it off you.
I also saw that HDS is what's issued to marines.
I think it's going to make my short list of lights I need to buy LoL :D

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Differences are as follows:

HDS has better regulation/electronics, 3mm glass lens which is sandwiched between O rings for shock proofing (Ntac=polycarbonate), has 4 programmable levels (NT=3), fully potted electronics, springs on both positive & neg terminals for better protection, better CS, stronger threads, no flickering, is manufacture-rated for EMP, has a thicker SS bezel, better and more durable electronic switch, and it is the the generation after the Ntac. Also, I believe the base HDS is cheaper than the 120p.

The Ntac is a good light but the HDS Clicky is simply a far superior light. The only reasons I could see someone choosing the Ntac is for the slightly shorter length, or if they preferred the look of the NT, or if they needed a remote tape switch. The cheaper Ntacs (Storm, Whichita, Spec Ops, etc) are made in China and are only type 2 anodized as opposed to being HA III. They are also not programmable from factory but can be after applying the 250 click Easter egg.

DM51

Flashaholic
If you can find a Novatac with a serial # below 10,000, you'll get a good light. The later ones with higher #s are not so good.

As other say above, HDS lights are generally regarded as being superior to Novatac.