LED Lights

BMRMike182

Newly Enlightened
I have a Coleman headlamp. My question is what type of LED's does it use? It is a yellow bulb. I am asking this in order to find out whether or not my flashlight produces radiation in the greater than 760 range.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Coleman headlamp. My question is what type of LED's does it use? It is a yellow bulb. I am asking this in order to find out whether or not my flashlight produces radiation in the greater than 760 range.

Why?

Typical human eyes cannot see beyond 750 nm. The tint of the light will be completely unaffected by emission from that range.

Typical white LEDs do not produce much light beyond 750 nm -- what would be the point, as it's invisible -- however, that's where infrared light starts, so the LED will give off some IR once it gets hot (depends on how it's driven and heatsinked).

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
Judging from his other thread he may be looking for a light to use with night vision.

BMRMike182, you need to give more information on the headlamp as there are a number of Coleman models. It will likely be using either a Cree XR-C or XP-C at best.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Judging from his other thread he may be looking for a light to use with night vision.

BMRMike182, you need to give more information on the headlamp as there are a number of Coleman models. It will likely be using either a Cree XR-C or XP-C at best.

In that case, pretty much all white LEDs (such as the one already in the light) will be useless. They don't emit IR enough.

You'll need a dedicated IR LED for that.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF :) Now that you are a full fledged member you might want to look closely at the the CPF index. If you scroll down from the top you will find a forum called LED Flashlight Disscussion. I am moving your thread to that forum.

Bill

At some point the moderator in the LED Flashlight forum may move you to the Headlamp forum, though your topic is really particular to LED lights.

Bill

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
In that case, pretty much all white LEDs (such as the one already in the light) will be useless. They don't emit IR enough.

You'll need a dedicated IR LED for that.
Yup, white LEDs emit negligible IR, which is why LED flashlights designed for night vision use usually have several 5mm secondary IR LEDs.

BMRMike182

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your quick replies.
Well if the light won't produce IR light I'll probably just build my own light.
Just in case does anybody know what his flashlight is?
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/751/snapshot201011012.jpg

Also can anybody identify this flashlight, got it at a fair it has a camo nite-ize pack. It has two flat spots in the middle but they have no text on them. The flashlight itself is pretty mum on it's origins. Some one said it was class two and that headlights are class 3 whatever that means? Pretty darn bright.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/3476/snapshot20101031.jpg
Thanks everyone.

Last edited: