EDC LED Recommendations

ucrt

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
This is probably a common question but I've searched for reviews on a quality EDC LED light and everything seemed 6+ months old.

I've got 7 men that I work with and every Christmas I try to get them nice gifts. This year, I've decided to get them an EDC LED light.

Here's my criteria:
- priced under $45, so I can afford them.
- quality light with a good warranty, in case they have a problem.
- "unusually" bright for its size, to impress them and their friends.
- something small so they'll use it.that uses standard size batteries.
- either a single "AA" or a single "AAA", so they'll keep using them.

So far, from what I've read these lights are in contention:
4Seven Quark MiNi-AA
4Seven Preon
Fenix LD01
Fenix LD15

I have been reading reviews about the Fenix LD01 and the Fenix LD15 but info on the LD15 is kind of scarce. Seems like the LD01 is pretty well respected? …but I don't know.

If I had to buy a light right now…I'd probably get the LD15 and next would be the LD01. Hope I'm not too far out in left field...? but I am open to other recommendations that meet (or don't stray too far from) the criteria above. What I'll probably do is buy one each of the top two lights and see them for myself.

Thanks for the help.

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
Do a search on the ITP Eos A3. I think you'll find that it fits your needs quite well. At just over $20, it's probably the best LED bargain currently available.

fishx65

Enlightened
Do a search on the ITP Eos A3. I think you'll find that it fits your needs quite well. At just over $20, it's probably the best LED bargain currently available.

Or it's brother the Maratac. I kinda like the feel and look of the Maratac a little better then the EOS A3.

offthetrail

Newly Enlightened

+1. I just got the ITP EOS A1 (CR123A version)and it is nice and compact and remarkably bright. It is a great deal at just over $20 too. Definitely a wow light for its small size.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I get lights for non-flashaholics, I find they prefer lights with push button switches over twisting. If its a keychain light, that's different as they prefer small over switches but as a user they all likw switches better.
With that in mind, if recommend the following:
ITP C7R or C7T - 1xAA, easy UI, infinite level adjustments, only $30
ITP SA1 - 1xAA, easy UI with 2 switches (slightly more complicated than the C7 but more versatile too), brighter than C7, $40

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also would go with any of the Itp A series.A1 is a 123 cell(real little pocket rocket on high,would impress the Pope that one)A2 AA cell and A3 AAA cell(both have roughly the same output but the AA has longer run times)

Another good bet would be the single mode new Fenix EO5,remember for non flash interested folk simple on/off is King.

All well within your budget.

Last edited:

vickers214

Enlightened
How about a Eagletac pn20a2? very straight forward to use, 2 modes by twisting the head (tight is full power, a bit loose is low) and a forward click switch so you can have a quick burst of light without pushing the switch all the way down.

You will find with the light you mentioned, although good lights for us guys, the average guy having strobes and multi levels all off the button is just a faff on and they wont like it.

I have just got the pn20a which has a straight forward twist on, then keep twisting till tight for full power, and I think its a lot better than the ITP A3 I had, unless you need a low low setting for reading, in all areas, but it is $15 more so swings and roundabouts!

And it is VERY bright for its size, they will be impressed with either, and both are in your budget.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
how about fenix E05? small keychain light, simple twist for on/off. about 30 lumens of flood.
these light will be releasing this month. so not much user feedback on them yet.

ucrt

Newly Enlightened

Looks like great lights suggested so far that I wasn't aware of.