Ra Advice

aback

Newly Enlightened
Hi, new here and pretty new to flashlights too. Where I walk it´s pretty dark this time of year and I need a good light that can take a bit of abuse. Walk a lot in the woods with my dog and want to be able to light up a short bit in front to walk safely but also be able to throw a beam far as well when necessary. Already have a good headlamp and this is as a complement and for EDC.
Anyway I´ve got my eye on the Ra lights. Any suggestion which to chose as a first? :thinking:

j3bnl

Enlightened
Re: Ra Advise

Hi, new here and pretty new to flashlights too. Where I walk it´s pretty dark this time of year and I need a good light that can take a bit of abuse. Walk a lot in the woods with my dog and want to be able to light up a short bit in front to walk safely but also be able to throw a beam far as well when necessary. Already have a good headlamp and this is as a complement and for EDC.
Anyway I´ve got my eye on the Ra lights. Any suggestion which to chose as a first? :thinking:

I love my 140E as it has a nice floody beam perfect for night time dog walks.
I also have a 170T which has less flood but a lot more throw for when the occasion arises.
Whichever one you decide on you simply will not be disappointed.

iacchus

Enlightened
Re: Ra Advise

I was in your same situation not so very long ago.
I went with a 170 and found it perfect for my needs.
Not long after, I bought the high CRI and also found it perfect for my needs.

The 170 throws further, and really is one hell of a light, but the High CRI seems to bring more contrast and depth. It is really a toss up. Both are fantastic lights. The high CRI's 100 lumens feels like much more because of how it brings out colors.

These days, I walk the dog with a Ra High CRI in hand and an MD2 w/ M61W in my back pocket for when I need to light up the whole yard.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will say that the High CRI really lights up better than it's 100 lumens would suggest. I don't know why. Maybe it's the color rendition, but it does really well. It's not a thrower per say, but it seems to light up about as well as a cool tint at twice the output. At least that's the perception to my eyes. All other things being equal.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
If you plan on only having one HDS/Ra Clicky, go with the 170Cn if it is within your budget. It is the most efficient and most versatile because of it's greater range. If you plan on having at least 2 Clickies, get the 170 first and the high CRI later. These two complement each other very well. The high CRI has a warmer and slightly floodier beam. It's highly regarded because of its ability to accurately render colours which is why photographers and nature lovers prefer this model. Paramedics and people in similar fields also find it useful in assessing wounds and injuries because it renders skin tone very well. Which ever way you decide to go, you won't be disappointed.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I finally decided to get a Ra, I got the high-CRI model instead of the 140 or 170. I figured that there were lots of high-output lights available, but a vanishingly small number of high-CRI lights out there unless you decide to have one custom built for you.

Also, I'm kind of a tint snob and the high-CRI emitter was the warmest emitter available in the Ra Clicky.

I'm extremely happy with this light. It has far more throw than I require (easily throws 100+ feet across my acre lot) and it really makes colors pop. It's really a pleasure to use.

--flatline

carrot

Flashaholic
When I finally decided to get a Ra, I got the high-CRI model instead of the 140 or 170. I figured that there were lots of high-output lights available, but a vanishingly small number of high-CRI lights out there unless you decide to have one custom built for you.

Also, I'm kind of a tint snob and the high-CRI emitter was the warmest emitter available in the Ra Clicky.

I'm extremely happy with this light. It has far more throw than I require (easily throws 100+ feet across my acre lot) and it really makes colors pop. It's really a pleasure to use.

--flatline
My thought as well. I am still waiting on my order but Henry says it should ship very soon.