Why does my Inova seem 2X brighter than Photon II?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just recently got an Inova Microlight and the output of it seems to be about twice that of my Photon II, and quite a bit brighter than my Arc AAA or Infinity Ultra.

Any comments?

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The initial burst of energy from the batteries allows the LED in the 2x2016 coin cell lights to be very bright for the first few minutes. If you let it run for 5-10 minutes, you will notice the light level will drop significantly.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Orion said:
I just recently got an Inova Microlight and the output of it seems to be about twice that of my Photon II, and quite a bit brighter than my Arc AAA or Infinity Ultra.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to eliminate different conditions of the batteries -
have you tried exchanging the batteries between the Inova and the Photon II
- and seeing if that makes any difference?

Are you also using new/fresh batteries in the ArcAAA and Ultra?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks UnknownVT. I will try that experiment.

The batteries in the Arc AAA and Ultra are good.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: Why does my Inova seem 2X brighter than Photon

ah .. this time I am the one that can say ... " yeah man, it may be brighter than your AAA, but let it burn a few minutes and compare again! THEN you'll see the quality of the AAA".
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
bernhard

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

There's no question of the superiority of the Arc AAA. I carry one every day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Okay, I switched the batteries around. Apparently, the Photon II's batteries were not as new as I had originally thought. However, the Inova's batteries in the Photon II proved that the LED in the Inova must be better. With the new batteries, the Photon II still didn't seem as bright as the Inova. I have had the Photon II for a while, and the Inova is new. Perhaps they got some better LED's recently for their microlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Drjones

Enlightened

I'm surprised no one mentioned this as a possible reason:

Look at how the LEDs are situated:

The Inova is recessed into the case, which I believe helps direct more light forward, while the Photon's LED is out in the open allowing more light to spill around, which makes it seem not as bright.

paulr

Flashaholic

LED's vary in brightness and I doubt that Photon or Inova is being very careful about selecting them. There's some luck of the draw involved.