NiteCore EX11 Review - A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
NiteCore EX11

NiteCore has once again returned to what has become their signature design, the Piston Drive switch. The EX11 tries to bring back the best features of the previous lights in this line, but how do these choices stack up to actual usability?

NiteCore EX11

Meat and Potatoes

The latest iteration in the evolutionary design of NiteCore's Smart PD series brings back the original selling point of continuously variable operation. Once again the light takes the form of a programmable, single mode torch, allowing you a customizable light level for daily use. The EX11 ramps from min to max slightly faster than the older EX10, but still maintains excellent control when doing so.

PD Evolution

Though this light covers much of the same range of output as previous versions, the use of a newer R5 bin Cree XP-G brings the light up to a claimed 200 lumens on maximum. Also, thanks to the wider beam inherent to XP-G based lights, this torch has never had a more beautiful looking illumination path. It is a little floodier than even the R2 version last released, and just about perfect for most EDC type activities. This isn't a thrower by any means, but is is excellent for short to mid range lighting.

NiteCore EX11

The beauty of the piston drive's nickel plated button once again shines in this lights newest form. NiteCore has attempted to show it off even more with addition of some tail scalloping. These are designed as an attempt to both allow easier, protruding access to the switch, while at the same time retaining a modicum of tailstand-ability. Generally speaking this is a very bad choice. Usually it merely results in a light that topples at the slightest instability and yet still hinders button access sometimes even more than a fully shrouded one. This particular version, however, manages through a combination of low center of gravity and well rounded edges to pull of the blend as well as can be expected. It's not my favorite setup, but it isn't bad either.

PD Switch Button

Though it is odd for NiteCore to have abandoned their previous dark mahogany colored anodizing for a plain black look, they have still maintained anodized excellence without chips or flaws. Their knurling is also as excellent as ever, providing buckets of grip without being a pocket shredder. NiteCore has apparently planned to include a pocket clip in the future at some point (even though it is not currently available) because the tail includes a pair of holes that are drilled and tapped with minuscule threads.

Constructive Criticism

Though NiteCore has gone back to their roots some by bringing back continuous variability, however they have also chosen to ignore the widely popular shortcuts to minimum and maximum that the original had. A better choice in my opinion (and many others as well) would have been to keep those shortcuts and find a way to preserve the selected mid-level so you could shortcut back to it if so desired. I guess apparently the majority of their target audience is much more interested in strobe and SOS, though I am personally starting to find those modes cumbersome.

Another downfall that has become a concern about these lights is the presence of parasitic drain on the battery when the light is in standby mode. Normally I have shied away from statistics such as drive current in these reviews but I believe it to be relevant in the current scenario. I tested the EX11 using a primary CR123A cell and saw a 3.3mA draw with the light switched "off". This translates to a cell that is drained to completely empty in around 3 weeks, without even turning it on! When using the higher voltage 16340 Li-ion rechargeable cells, the current drops down to a more reasonable 0.7mA. This gives you a more manageable 6 weeks or so even accounting for the lower capacity of these cells.

NiteCore EX11

Conclusions

With its slightly smaller size, higher output and much more attractive beam, the EX11 starts to look like a capable upgrade to the original EX10. When you factor in the parasitic drain that counters any efficiency benefit you might receive from the newer LED module, it really casts doubt on the lights viability. The tiebreaker, unfortunately has to be the UI which really comes down to personal preference. Myself? I love the continuous variability, but not the blinkey modes. Thankfully these don't register as a deal breaker to me. The final piece of the puzzle is the PD switch itself which is a design I really like. This allows this light to finish in the win column, but it was a very close call.

NiteCore EX11

Provided for review by the kind folks at NiteCore.

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review Aard! :wave:

I haven't got my EX11 yet, could arrive tomorrow, but I expect it later this week. I bought it because I'm an EX10/D10 collector and want to have both the EX11/D11 to proove myself the original ones are still the best! :devil:

You don't speak about the clip? For both new lights it's ridiculous that Nitecore does the same "mistake" again and send them out without a clip. Perhaps it isn't a mistake, because they'll offer them later and we'll pay more for them as if they were included.

+1 for your constructive criticism! The shortscuts are really missing, I don't need and want disco modes, but I need and want shortcuts to high and low. The fact that the ramping is back is a good sign.

I know that it'll never be reality, but I would like to see LED engines for the whole series of PD lights. AFAIK, they are all The same, I mean that a light engine for an EX-model fits in all EX-bodies. They are finnicky sometimes, even die unexpectedly. Imagine we could get some light engines with different emitters and different UIs. Everyxbody would get what he wants. I know this is pretty impossible and I would already be glad to see a ramping UI with the lastest emitter... :whistle:

The parasitic drain is a joke, I always lock my lights out if they go on the shelf, I highly recommend this! :sick2:

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the compliments Henk! I did mention the clip, but only briefly and as an afterthought. My reasoning for this is because I actually haven't experienced the clip on any of these excellent lights yet. I still have yet to even SEE a D10/11. I would like to see the clip, but it doesn't show up as a downfall if I don't know what I'm missing, you know?

Hope you get yours soon. Link up any review you make. I love reading all the opinions of my favorite lights. The PD series is really what keeps my flashlight passion aflame. There's just something cool about them. Maybe someday I can find a way to see one of Don's original designs.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aard, excellent review as usual. :thumbsup:
The absence of shortcuts to max and min is vexed enough, now to add on the ridiculous 3-week drain convinced me to put this light down to the last item of my Christmas wish... if I even wish to get it at all. I better get myself a couple more EX10s... :whistle:

Henk, the EX11 stock clip is already out. It's titanium and appears to be of the same built as the Infilux's.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Thanks for the review. :)

I have a R2 XR-E EX10 and like it a bunch. Maybe I got lucky as the beam/tint is nice and there is no crazy indicator hum or whatever. Also have dropped the light a few times and it came through with flying colors. The SS bezel guard will bend/dent a little but does the job. Glad Nitecore has kept this aspect with the new EX11.

Given the high drain and lack of shortcut to low/high plus disco modes I think an EX11 won't be in my future (hope the EX10 holds up). Anyone knows why the newer light would have a higher drain than the older EX10. This seems like a big step back.