Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1 (not impressed with this light)

GotSpot

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased an Aurora WF-600 HA-III SKU.8537 from DX as a budget thrower, i wasnt expecting much for $39.22 but it was suprisingly good. This was my first LED thrower so full of enthusiasm and after reading a heap of reviews and threads i ordered a Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1 with L2X HA3 body ( 2 x 18650's).
I went out to a local quarry tonight to compare the 2 flashlights and the results were totally unexpected. The Solarforce which cost $90.98 (more than double the DX light) was only at best 15% brighter (subjectivly at least) and didn't seem to have much more throw. Given that the Solarforce has a larger deeper head and runs off 2 x 18650 instead of 1 like the Aurora i was expecting it to completely blow the Aurora away.
So after 1 day of ownership im ready to put the Solarforce for sale and stick with the Aurora. Am i being too hard on the solarforce? Are my expectations too high? I realise that above a certain point you get diminishing returns (like with most things) but i just cant justify the cost of the solarforce for its minimal imrovements over the cheaper torch. I thought its worth pointing out that i was using the same batteries in both torches and the hot spot was similar for both, but the Solarforce had a little more useable light around the hot spot.
Does anyone have some suggestion's to explain the disappointing performance of the Solarforce?? and would you care to make a recommendation on a better thrower to try? Ideally i would like a slightly larger hot spot but at the very least more throw. My budget is max $125 and please dont suggest HID, interested in LED only thanks :)

OCD

Enlightened
Just my $.02 as I don't own either light (but do have a Solarforce L2P on the way with intentions of buying the MMP-1 soon) but have done much reading on the MasterPiece Pro head.

I don't know that I would call it's performance "disappointing". From what I read, it ranks as one of the best throwers w/o an aspheric lens. I also read that quality from DX can be hit or miss...with many people loving what they get and some vowing never to buy from there again. Sounds like you got lucky. Some of the things to consider as to why the Solarforce as more expensive (instead of why it was disappointing) would be:

1.) Output - You mentioned yourself it was brighter.
2.) Quality - From what I've read, Solarforce lights are very good quality as compared to the average DX lights.
3.) Lego-abilty - The Solarforce doesn't have to be a dedicated thrower...you can take off the MPP-1 head and put the stock one back on and have a multi-mode light again; swap drop-ins for the latest and greatest; added extensions (if desired) to gain run time; choose what style switch fits your needs the best.

I have a feeling that if the MPP-1 disappointed you for its price, you're in line to be dissappointed with lights that may cost even more, IMHO..FWIW...Etc.

Good luck on finding your perfect light and let us know what light that ends up being! :wave:

Trancersteve

Newly Enlightened
The Solarforce Pro 1 head ranks up there at about 48k lux and is regarded as being an excellent thrower, very close to the best of the best without using an aspheric lens.

It should be able to throw at over 200m from what I have read.

I hope someone will chime in and give you a reason of your disappointment, I think you have been the first person to say that you are disappointed with this head. It makes me wonder if it is defective or perhaps your expectations were too high of it and as OCD said perhaps you got a well performing DX light in the DX lottery.

I have the Pro 1 head winging its way to me right now with a L2 body and extender, I hope I will not be as disappointed as you have been.