anti-stick for epoxy molding?

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to make a 123 diameter sandwich with a BB, and need advice on what to cover the walls on the die with so the hardened epoxy sandwich is possible to extract from the die when it is hardened. Will common food oils, crc555, machine oil or bicycle lube work?

pdm

Newly Enlightened
Mr. Snail,

What's worked great for me in the past is a Gunsmith product called "Acraglass" release agent. It's used when glass bedding rifle stocks. btw, acraglass itself is an excellent epoxy.

Good source is http://www.brownells.com/

hope this helps

Reboot

Newly Enlightened
Scotch Tape ... sticky side in. I wrap my boards with tape to make a little cup with the board on the bottom, fill with epoxy, wait for it to semi-harden, then unwrap & trim with exacto knife. Looks really ugly.

Tom_Ayers

Newly Enlightened
Ditto on Accraglass and release agent. FYI, some of the Accraglass types are full of stainless steel powder (my favorite for some bedding applications but prol not good for potting electronics)

But if I understand your question - if your die is like metal tube and you're gonna push the sandwich out of the tube, I would use a coat of grease on the inside of the die. Automotive grease, RIG, whatever (never tried petrolium jelly for that). Grease on a bolt works well enough that when cast into a pocket, the bolt can be turned out after the epoxy cures.

YMMV; hope that helps.

Tom

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great; It does. However I might end up leaving it in the die since I need some spacing to the 17mm iD wall anyway.
Thanks for all the advice, the last one is just head-on since the garage was the furthest I'd hoped to go for the "agent".

Hope to "reward" you with pictures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .