is the legend lx bright?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I want a good flash light>but her batery life sucks .Is she very bright?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Yes, it is bright. The LX sucks though. Get a SureFire G2 or Pelican M6 (PM6) rather than the LX.

They are all about the same output - 5 Watt bulb in a ~1" diameter reflector powered by two 3V SF123A batteries.

Al

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
It's a bit large of head, and the bulb doesn't stay still. But it IS BRIGHT!

In my test last night it didn't give much away to my Pelican M6. Both way out threw my G2/P60.

G2 is the smallest and very nicely proportioned, PM6 next smallest and TOUGH looking, LX slightly longest and way biggest diameter head.

You can probably get a G2 for about $35. But the LX isn't bad at all for $20.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alrighty then....
rank these similar lights based on their stock configurations "as is" whithout upgrade consideration. You will be allowed one addition. Five stars being the best, One star being the lowest.

Surefire E2E
Pelican M6
Surefire G2
Brinkmann Legend LX

mike

(Mostly I'm just trying to decide which of these lights I'm going to get next.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have the E2e, but it is a very nice, SMALL light. It puts out tons of light for its size. I would rank it about 4 and a half stars.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
on tts you can get the pelican for like 35 bucks..

and if you contacted tts then you could probly get a g2 in the 20's price range..

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
In my test last night it didn't give much away to my Pelican M6. Both way out threw my G2/P60.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that the Brinkman is brighter than a G2 with a P60?

kz1000s1

Enlightened
The LX is a good value. In performance it's a match for the other lights, but it sure is ugly and front heavy. A Streamlight Scorpion may be the brightest and whitest of lights in this class and can be had in the 30's. I personally don't care for the feel and size of the M6, though it does seem to be a good light. Also take a look at the new Streamlight TL-2 and NF-2. Just got the NF-2. Very nice!

The G-2 is probably the best value of all of these. But if you can afford it, get the E2e. It's a work of art.

Regarding battery life, they all run for about the same short time, but that's the price you pay for performance. In reality, these lights usually are used for short periods of time so the hour can take a while to use up. Just stock up on the cheap batteries now available.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
charliek,

Yes, that is what I'm saying.

Now, it is not gospel. Battery life may not be exactly equal in all 3 lights.

The G2 (4.5 stars) is WAY bright for example in my house. At say 12-15 feet everything is pretty equal, though the spot of the PM6 already makes itself known.

It is outside in a throw environment, that LX and M6 start killing G2. The SF policy is to create disabling light up close. They aren't designed to throw light so very far.

For a general use BRIGHT light (that sucks batts dry in about an hour) the G2 is super! I imagine the E2 isn't bad either.

If you are looking at a tight budget, the Legend LX (3.25 stars) ain't horrid, and is quite bright.

If you feel like you gotta light up stuff kinda far away, I recommend the Pelican M6 (4.5 stars). It's built like a tank, throws a spot better than the others, with a nice spill. At 100 feet or more I lit up most of the house I was shining it at. :wow:

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
does a fat baby fart? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

okay, a more straight forward answer, ...yes it's pretty darn bright and it does not "suck" as one $urefire finatic might think

blacksmithtech

Newly Enlightened
Reggie, I have both the G2 and LX. At the risk of starting a fight with all the SF guys, I think the LX is the better bang for the buck. You can get one for a fraction of the price, almost better light output, all aluminium body, a tailcap that doesn't leak and it's really not that much bigger. I almost sent my G2 back after realizing I already had a similar light. ( I would never send a light back - already have the bug ) Hope I don't get anyone mad but for a poor man's 2-123 light, the LX rocks!

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to the Brinkmann website and either get the 800 number, or order replacement bulbs straight off the site. They're only about $5.00 apiece, and shipping is free. Cost of replacement bulbs is another reason why the LX is such a good value. The bulbs are a fraction of the cost of a SF lamp assembly. You're gonna hear quite a few members "poo-poo" the LX, but IMHO it's a great value for $20.00!

PJD

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man...I have looked high and low for an LX around here. 2 Walmarts, 2 Radio Shacks, 3 other hardware stores....nothing even close.

The LX is going to cost me nearly $30.00 ($23.00 was the lowest, $29.99 the high) plus shipping online, I'm leaning towards the M6 from Battery Station for $30.00 and $6.00 shipping as it seems to be the better buy (for me) at this point. I will also get a dozen batteries while I'm at it for $1.00 each.

mike

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of these lights have been discussed at length here on CPF, do some searches and you will find HOURS worth of reading!

The Brinkmann Legend LX is a great value at 20 bucks, and has momentary on OR Clickie on. The others are twist on, or thumb switch for momentary on only.

electronics4life

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking about getting an LX tomorrow. Found em for $15. Should make a great emergency car light.

Catapult

Enlightened
The Brinkmann Legend LX is a nice light. Although it may be questionable in the EDC area, the price puts it above all others. And if it is found for less than $20, the value alone makes this light rock!

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
In an last minute change I got myself a couple of Streamlight Twin Task 2L's from Brighguy.

How'd I do PlayboyJoeShmoe?

mike

p.s Man...where are you guys finding these LX's?

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would put the LX at the bottom of the list of 123 lights. It is large and ugly, if you drop it you may need to put the bulb back in or at least center it. If your LX bulb stays put now try changing the bulb and then see how well it stays. Then there is the tail switch put some gloves on and try turning it on. My father bought one before I could stop him and with his arthritis he can barely get the thing on (don't worry I got him an E2e /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ).