Sad day- had to put dog down

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Days like these are not easy. I awoke to our woofer yelping. When I looked out through the glass door, he was lying on the patio not moving. I cradled him in my arms as he looked up at me. He's been a strong dog and even though weak, I could sense his desire to do our normal routine but it was not to be today. We rushed him to the vet and they hooked him up. We returned home to wait for the call on what the condition was.

About an hour later the doc calls. He relays he's anemic and has had several seizures, they had moved him into ICU. The x-rays revealed a mass that appeared to be on the spleen or kidney. At 17 years old, surgery was not a good choice and even if they could operate, his body condition was too weak. A sad decision to send him onto his next journey. :cry::( Called dad and the three of us went to the vet to say our good-bye's.

He was very limp laying on the table as he looked at us. We gave him the last pats-scratches, told him how good a dog he'd been, how much we loved him... Doc explained the procedure and in about 5 seconds, he was free.

Those many years ago, hed been wandering the neighborhood and something about him chimed. When the wife whistled, he came charging back right into her arms as if to imply, Im home! Very mild character, relaxed and yet youthfully young that he was a joy to be part of the family. It was a very nice 15 years with him and while we will miss him, I truly feel this was a celebration of life for what hes given to us.

I don't feel I can come close to reciprocating what he has done for the family. I enjoyed waking up to see him waiting at the sliding glass door for our time together. He was there when I came home and anytime else. One cannot ask for such companion's and he had chosen us those many years back. I wish for more time...:sad:

He will be with us in spirit and he joins our other woofer who was his companion many years back...they are re-united. My thanks to Guy. :thumbup::) and :cry:

This was the last picture of him on Monday after his grooming.

ltlguy.jpg