Streamlight PT2L - a quickie review

Beastmaster

Enlightened
My understanding wife bought me a Streamlight PT2L as an anniversary gift, so I figured I would do another quick write up on it, primarily to compare it against other 2x123A flashlights that I own.

So far, I've had the PT2L for a little over one month now, and I've put it to the same types of daily use torture tests that I have done with the PT2L's little brother (the PT1L). This included one gig standing watch at a church at night, which provided some excellent comparisons.

If anyone would like to see what I've written so far on the PT1L, here's the link: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=290595

With that being said, I will start off with this. The PT2L will accept and run with AW's RCR123A 3.7v batteries. This means it's got some sort of buck based circuit on it.

The circuit also is regulated in some way as well. Using the same oddball test using a painter pole and my Meterman LM631 meter (mentioned in my other review), the amount of light output is only 8 percent more when I use RCR123A's vs primaries. Please note, my light box is literally boxed up in my garage somewhere. I'm not digging it out.

Real life, eye based testing shows (to me) that the throw is better than a PT1L, mainly since it's literally throwing more lumens out the window. But, the reflector head is identical in size.

Painter pole distance test shows that the PT2L gives me about the same amount of light as my Malkoff M61 series replacement head. Mark 1 Mod 0 Eyeball shows I get about the same amount of light in the dark alley test.

Freezer test shows the switch is fine, unlike one of my PT1L's that I got that had a bad switch.

Runtime tests are coming soon. Im still in the compare and play mode right now.

Will this replace my Surefire 6P based units? Not yet. Unlike the PT1L that has displaced my E1B's (both 80 and 110 lumen heads), this flashlight will likely be one of my many 2x123A units that I keep around the house or on my person, rather than becoming an EDC replacement like the PT1L did to my E1B and my Novatac 120P.

More as I test and find.

-Steve