My Budget SST 90

S

schmerdtz

Hi all :wave:

Been modifying LED flashlights for a couple of years, but I'm new here:

My latest quest was to produce an affordable SST 90 light, and after an expensive false start, I may have succeeded.

BeamZilla is up and blinding, based on a stock hardware store Snap On 3-D-cell.

After removing my first failed attempt, an SST 90 which turned out to be too difficult to get reliable solder continuity at high power, this evening was a straightforward install, only one false start to fix a cold joint on the anode pad. This is a modded red anodized 3 D-cell-powered work light, it appears to be a reasonably well made Maglite competitor, although it really isn't any cheaper, but the basic design, where an aluminum ring screws into a fluted barrel, had nice heatsink potential for what I was planning.

Even losing $45 on the 1st SST 90 and replacing it with a star-mount SSR 90 57 N200, it has been worth it; I'm getting huge output, even some limited focusing.

Tech: I'm running 3-D cell Nmhi, direct drive. I modified the screw flange with additional brass discs to provide some thermal mass, and the assembly screws directly into the body of the light, transferring heat directly to the fluted aluminum barrel. I approximated the shape of the base of the lightbulb I discarded, by running a heavy multi-strand insulated wire through a hole drilled in the flange, super-gluing it into the shape I wanted, Next, I built up the wire using 5-minute epoxy to form a bulb-end-shaped post with a solder nodule on the end. This fits into the stock spring bulb socket. This way the entire flange/emitter assembly is quickly removable. I could benefit from a better reflector, and that is my next step, although I would be happy to leave it alone. The cathode wire goes right from the emitter and the ground wire is screwed to the flange, which grounds to the barrel; it just doesn't get any easier than this, especially for someone without a shop. I have basic hand tools but I made extensive use of a cordless drill and dremel tool. I use a Radio Shack clip-lead battery charger to test my work as I go.

So far, heat doesn't seem to be a factor with the Nmhi cells providing an output I'd guesstimate at around 75% of the full rated 2250 lumens. Visually it is easily twice the output of my P7 modded Maglite, which still runs too hot for continuous use beyond 5 minutes. (My son cooked the P7; it was discolored and the light wouldn't turn on, but when I checked the emitter, the solder had melted from the leads. Miraculously, when I bench tested the emitter, it was still bright!

BeamZilla's SSR 90 seems a much better amperage match; I'm getting less than 80 degrees at the emitter, although I have yet to leave it on for any length of time.

Caveat: I momentarily hit the switch while looking at the emitter, screwing on the head/reflector. I've been staring at the same spot now for 20 minutes; this is not a toy.

Thanks to Fred Pilon for the SSR 90, AVNet is out of the high flux bins. I emailed Luminus and they hinted that they are still having difficulty getting decent quantities of high-flux emitters. Luminus is getting a new US distributor, Mouser, they say.

My P7 Maglite did a decent job of lighting the dead-end sign 2 blocks from my house. BeamZilla does that as well, but it also lights up everything along the way; cars, houses, trees...these LED's still blow my mind!

Bruce

Latest posts