Terrorized some terrorists with my Maelstrom the other night

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I am a missionary/pastor in a fairly radical Islamic country. Though the government claims to have religious freedom most in my church have gone to jail, and been tortured. 1 even had his arm chopped off.

I spend much of my time advocating for and protecting these people as best I can with non lethal force. Not carrying a weapon certainly helps build negotiating skills and relevant to this forum, makes flashlight really cool tools – not just toys!! J

So… the other night there was a meeting where some newer Christians who used to be leaders in the community were sharing their stories. I heard from several people there was a good chance it was going to be mobbed. We were deep in the jungle - at least 4 hours from being able to buy a coke!

½ way thru the service the power to the generator was cut and I saw some shadows moving outside the buiding we were in. I followed them and could just barely make out in the nearly pitch black about 15-20 guys. Most had machetes or sticks but 2 had AK 47 rifles. It was so dark that when 1 of the guys pushed a button on his watch I could see everyones face clearly in the blueish light from his watch.

I have a drill seargents voice and suddenly I stepped out of the shadows, shined my 4 7's Maelstrom on the group full force and bellowed at the top of my lungs, "YOU!! WHO GOES THERE!! MOVE IT!! MOVE IT NOW!!!"

As I yelled I panned the light back and forth and tried to make sure each face got their "turn with the hot spot!"

They were in a shallow hole and it was hilarious to watch – terrror on their faces as they helter skelter tripped over each other trying to get out and run for the cover of the jungle. They would've had no idea that there was just one of me and that I didn't even have a weapon.

I give God the credit for what happened but still say that Maelstrom is one cool little light!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great story! I think you should send this story to 4Sevens. God bless you and keep you and all safe over there.

Roger999

Enlightened
I'm a bit interested into which country it is?

EDIT: Nvm realised it's a year old post.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
You stepped out of cover unarmed towards a group with AK's, geez you must have faith.

My thoughts exactly. If they were serious, then once challenged I would expect them to open fire as they would assume you are armed if you are confronting them.

I'm glad it turned out ok, and you are unharmed, but will you be so lucky next time?

Stay safe and enjoy the light :)

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to know how this thread went unanswered for months, thread started in November and first reply today?? Was it because of the crash or what?

shane45_1911

Enlightened
I cringe every time I read stories like this of people who think a flashlight is a magic ray of death, in a potentially confrontational situation.

Viper715

Enlightened
Aggressors are often cowards and only attack the week and rarely attack the strong. When someone stands up against them they will often flee. Those who cower often pay with there lives. I'm not saying be stupid but what if the op had done nothing these men clearly were not bringing cake and cookies to this peaceful church meeting they clearly had bad intentions most likely wanted to kill or injure those at the meeting. Doing nothing would have invited the attack and we may have not heard this story. there was already a history of violent attacks. Be safe but don't cower.

Status
Not open for further replies.