Solarforce lights and L2I.. quite impressed

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought a few Solarforce lights recently including their Masterpiece Pro1, L2I and L2P. At the price you can afford a few.

Very clean machining job I must say. Nice bright silver finish on the insides where they didn't anodize it. Their fit and finish is still not as 'smooth' as a true premium Surefire (and I have over a dozen to compare) but it is quite decent.

Their L2i Innovator is truly innovative. At first I wondered how one would fit a battery carrier or a 18650 in the same light without serious rattle, but I discovered they put ribs in the light which hold the 18650 yet do not block their 3xAAA carrier. Very interesting.

3 AAA NiMH have a fair amount of juice, three Eneloops could easily cough up the required amount of current required to power an XPG to its maximum 1.5 amp rating (not just the regular 1A). That's a 2C discharge rate. I'd be a bit cautious of running the crazy-high-current MC-E/P7 dropins on NiMH but that's just me. 3.5C should be do-able for shorter runs not full pack discharges. Even the ROP only pounds the larger Eneloops at 2.2C (2000mAH).

Silverfox hit the Eneloop AAAs with up to 3 amps, and they were actually useable. Fall on their face at 4A - well, 4A is pretty much very excessive ;)

The L2i also provides me a solution for non-flashaholics to tap the power of P60 drop-ins. I know about the AA L2 as an alternative but I am restricted to 3V-capable dropins on that one. I am not prepared to train and prep every non-flashaholic on the finer points of lithium safety nor am I prepared to see them go :poof: so I would prefer to equip some of them with the safer NiMH chemistries.

Native 18650 support is very nice too.. no more boring!