1-Watt McModule Makes 2,030 Lux!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Yep, finally got around to taking Don's advice and put together the DB700/R2H Lambertian McModule I bought from him.

What a bright, white, and tight beam. Outthrows every other 1-watt Luxeon light I have, and on used batteries (for testing I simply swapped it out with the 5W McModule in my Pelican M6 using the existing batteries) it still blasted out an incredible 2,030 lux at one meter. Also due to the perfectly textured PM6 reflector the pattern was just one smooth spot coupled with ample ghostly sidespill perfectly suitable for walking around, and yet with a simple tilt upward you easily illuminate things 100+ yards away.

Thanks Don, good info and Great Mod.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Charlie,

Glad you found the time to put this together! I know you like to throw and I thought you'd be impressed with the 1W. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have some more DB-R2H McModules to build to suit and will get back to them after our CA-Camp meet so thanks for the plug. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
The R2H one (with DB400) Dat2zip offered in the passaround surely impressed me! If I can get the pics. uploaded there will be some very nice beamshot comparisons in the R2H passaround thread.

RY3

Enlightened
I am so confuse now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Is the 1W McModule throw better then 5W McModule? How useful (ie how larger is the hot spot) is the 1W McModule in 100+ yd.

Is the 1W McModule has any advantage over the 5W?

Thanks

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the 1W is easier to focus into a tight beam because it's closer to a single point source light, whereas the 5W has an area 4 times larger than the 1W.

Mr Bulk,

Do you have any lights with the 30mm optic? I'm curious to see how the PM6 reflector compares in throw (yes, I'm a fan of throw now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) The big disadvantage of the optic is its large size whereas the PM6 is a better carry package than the C series with a KL3. 100 yards sounds like a winner for such a relatively small package.

CM

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
CM said:
Mr Bulk,

Do you have any lights with the 30mm optic? I'm curious to see how the PM6 reflector compares in throw (yes, I'm a fan of throw now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) The big disadvantage of the optic is its large size whereas the PM6 is a better carry package than the C series with a KL3. 100 yards sounds like a winner for such a relatively small package.

CM

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm definitely not Mr. Bulk, but I can answer that question.

The PM6 reflector has a MUCH tighter focus and throws MUCH farther than the 30mm optic. Very much a winner WRT it's size. The trimmed down PM6 reflectors are available at the Sandwich Shoppe for about $10.

zackhugh

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
...and yet with a simple tilt upward you easily illuminate things 100+ yards away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Charlie,

Maybe you couldn't illuminate some big dogs at that distance, but maybe some small dogs, huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am in this opinion: everybody that puts together some *really* cool mod should get a royal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif if he does not post some beamshot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif just kidding, of course. But seriously, I really need to see the beamshot, compared to your LGI keeper, of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Did I say this is a really cool mod? R2H overdriven, light it up, dude /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ry, the 1W module are supposed to run longer and has a brighter hotspot. AS far as light output goes, the 1W will have a tighter hotspot while the 5W will have a bigger overall lumens output.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Charlie,

Glad you found the time to put this together! I know you like to throw and I thought you'd be impressed with the 1W. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have some more DB-R2H McModules to build to suit and will get back to them after our CA-Camp meet so thanks for the plug. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

[/ QUOTE ]

Sign me up for one of these Don.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
LEDmodMan said:
...The PM6 reflector has a MUCH tighter focus and throws MUCH farther than the 30mm optic...

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

Are you speaking from experience? If you are (and I hope you are) then I need to add another light to my collection /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Oh what the heck, the light's only $30 bucks, that's two weeks of not eating lunch AND I (and my wallet) get a bit thinner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
nice job!

a while ago i made a turbohead for my miniminimag. it uses a pelican reflector, and fits my mmm with mm+r2h /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

so essentially i have the samething you do...but a whole lot smaller /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
great beam to be sure!

in fact, i origionally made the head for a cutdown 30mm optic, but i found that the pelican reflector fit in it also. the 30mm beam is nice to be sure, but i find the pelican to be preferable.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Roth wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
"...so essentially i have the samething you do...but a whole lot smaller..."

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Roth, if you had only used a converter that put out 700 mah like this creation of Don's then you certainly would, but with a MadMax you're at least halfway there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
LEDmodMan -- yeah seeing as to how I'm modded and photo'd out, I'll let you do the beamshot honors on this one.

RY -- as an extreme example, think of it as a laser's beam compared to a spotlight's beam. The laser might actually register higher on a meter with its pinpoint beam, but the spotlight will illuminate a hall.

CM -- what others said. The 30mm optic does produce a nice, fairly larger beam, but for throw there is no comparison to a well set up reflector. This is illustrated in the fact that DD 5Ws pushed through 30mms register "only" 1900 lux...

Zach -- after I saw your 1W that other night, I was already sold, just never had the time till now. I think this might actually reach out to 400 yards on a pitch black night w/no pollution (like up on Tantalus during the "GHS"?) but the dogs'd have to be runnin' slow...

shiftd -- I'm waiting for LEDmodMan.

Ray -- might want to e-mail him, he be campin' soon.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
hey guys!
get one of those if you can!
they are incredible! the beast throwing LED I have with a good side spill. And think about runtime and heat ...
highly recommended!
bernhard

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
actually charlie, i said mm<font color="red">+</font>, which pushes out about 800ma /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

trailstoride

Newly Enlightened
Just curious, I have a Lambda Cyclops. It is a 1 watt LS SE in a 2D Mag driven with 3 C cells. It throws easily over 100 yards. How does it compare to the McModule? I know the McModule is regulated and the Cyclops is not.

Lambda has on his web site: [ QUOTE ]
The first Cyclops is complete (it has blue case). It's burning up 3 new Energizer C cells right now.

These SEs are very nice; pure white and very bright. Quickie test show 4500+ Lux at 700ma on new batteries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
it's a turbohead that will work on any minimag /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
with a fresh lithium aa, it still puts out a helluva lot of light. if i only had a lightmeter... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Check the "Reviews" forum for the runtime plots I did of the DB400 and DB700 mounted in a PM-6! Ran both at 6v, 9v, and 12v!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
actually charlie, i said mm<font color="red">+</font>, which pushes out about 800ma /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, I stand corrected. But at least yours is shorter (I refer to the flashlight!)... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif