TK45 and battery options

hammerface

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I have read all I can find on the Fenix TK45 and while it looks like a great light and Im this close to purchasing one, there is one little nagging fact about it that I dont like - it cant handle lithium AAs.

The manufacturer says not to cause you'll fry it. It says you can use regular alkaline AAs but then you run the risk of those leaking (as happened to a few people with their TK40). The recommended best option is to buy and run Eneloops. Granted that's a viable option but I don't use my lights enough to really warrant having rechargeables and I like lithiums for their lightweight and the longevity and resistance to cold (I live in Canada...)

So I think I know the answer: risk using alkaline AAs or go with LSD rechargeables like eneloops as lithiums are not an option. My question is: has anybody successfully used lithiums in their tk45 or tk40 without damaging it?

I don't know much about electronics. Is the warning just a precautionary measure? Would it be ok to run them if for only shorter periods of time? I don't really want to have to drop and extra $50 for eneloops and I don't really want to risk having alkalines sit in the light an possibly leak but I may not have an option.

I like the AA option - just wish they would have allowed it to handle all formats of the battery.

:sigh: