Good howto solder quickie article.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just came across a nice little article geared toward beginners with soldering. It explains not only a basic methodology, but also some additional issues like the role of flux (including chemical equations for what's happening!), and does so in a single printed page. Neat stuff!

You'll find the article over here.

To be fair, there are a few other soldering tutorials that have been mentioned on CPF, and those are great as well. The value in this particular article, I think, is that it's a quick read and can be put into practice immediately.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Incidentally, the site on which this appears also offers some nifty electronics projects, including a mobile phone radiation meter, a sea water battery, a film canister shake-a-gen LED light, and lots of other goodies. All in all, looks like fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eric_M

Enlightened
You should add this link to the Reference Database thread at the top of this section.

Nice,

Eric

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eric, I thought the Reference Database thread was mainly intended to list all the modified lights people have made... buy maybe it's more than that?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Eric_M

Enlightened
I think it's a general reference for building and modifying lights. There are a lot of references to "how to" threads but in order to build them you need supplies and knowledge.

I'd add it.

Eric

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good for sure, but it's left out one key point, you *should* apply a bit of solder directly to the tip of the iron (if there's not enough there already) before contacting the joint. Heat flows by conduction, which depends on good contact. Dry, it takes too long to get the joint up to working temperature, you'll wreck things before the solder melts.....

Otherwise, you have go get the entire work area up to temperature and let it melt the solder (not the iron) as described.

Doug Owen

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eric, Link to the article added to the reference thread as you suggested. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif