New Flashlight

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a new flashlight that I've not seen posted anywhere before.

newlight2.jpg

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hmmm, either a Lux up front or are those tightly bunched Nichia's? I like the vent slots, do they have a thermal reduction function?

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, nothing I made.

Here's another view of this unconventional flashlight.

newlight3.jpg

I got a couple of these for $12 each. They aren't much stock with three crappy stock 5mm LEDs up front, but looked interesting to mod.

Notice the seperate section with cut slots that looks like it was made to house a power converter between head and batteries.

Any mod ideas would be apreciated; what should I do with these? I just got these in the mail today, and while not a rugged type flashlight, they just looked different enough to check out. They are made out of aluminum and fairly nice fine threads between sections. And there is a lanyard hole in the rear tail cap.........

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
That blue button an "innie" or "outie"...? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
FlashlightOCD said:

Is there a tiny fan available that could make use of the vent slots?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those slots are only like 1/32" deep and don't go all the way through to the inside; just black in color.

"That blue button an "innie" or "outie"...? "

It be an outie rubber cover over the switch button; glows in the dark too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mod 5W RB or Cyan's into it? Well it looks like a light saber anyways. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

What powers it?

jtice

Flashaholic
Hmmm
A Cyan would look cool in it. Issac has a point there.

Yea, good question, what batts are packed in that strange thing?

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:

[/ QUOTE ]

It was advertised as an AA flashlight, so I expected something much smaller. But, it does hold 3 AA cells, so lots of possible mods with 4.5V to work with.

Although it looks strange, it actually is very comfortable in the hand, and is a very solid rattle free design.

It's just begging for a Luxeon........

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put that RB 5W SE in there that you have, along with 123a's or maybe some recharable option.. 2 li-ion 3.7v sticks?
Er, wait, you gotta find a reflector for it too. Would a PM6 reflector fit?

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Any mod ideas would be apreciated; what should I do with these? "

You could bolt on some misc high tech looking stuff (preferabley including a humming device) and sell on to me as a "Light Saber." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif please, please, please?
The lack of a light saber has gone on long enough - here is your chance to make history. (and give vent to your imagination as well) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

P.S. Does anyone know if PayPal handles "Republic Credits"?

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
AilSnail said:
Put a gyrometer controlling flange on the humming device.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what that is, but it sounds like a step in the right direction. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
BentHeadTX

"I think I need to get a life... "

That makes two of us; but meanwhile, a few more toys are always welcome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flange or flanger is a weird sound effect coming when you add a very short delay to the original sound. It is modified by changing the delay time.

A gyroscope or gyrometer is used in rc planes and senses changes in speed and direction.

Some small filters, noise sources, PWM osc's and a flanger controlled by a gyro may be able to create the sound of a lightsaber. I'd be willing to undertake the sound part if someone could come up with the metal-cutting flashlight.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
If I remember right, the light sabre sound was actually a slowed-down recording of the sound an elephant makes.
Or maybe that was some other sound in Star Wars...but I'm pretty sure that was the light sabre sound. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
lambda said:
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:

[/ QUOTE ]

It was advertised as an AA flashlight, so I expected something much smaller. But, it does hold 3 AA cells, so lots of possible mods with 4.5V to work with.

Although it looks strange, it actually is very comfortable in the hand, and is a very solid rattle free design.

It's just begging for a Luxeon........

[/ QUOTE ]

Three AA-sized CRV3 splits (for 9V) and a 5W HD up top?