Modding the Solarforce Pro1

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now, the Pro1 is impressive but Ive decided to take it to a whole new level. The nicest thing about Solarforce heads is that they dont loctite everything shut. I also discovered the nice thing about opening impact bezels - just impact it into a towel on a hard surface say a table, and twist. It opens nicely.

The pill is easy to extract as well. Thank the folks here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=257948

Gaining access to the rear is slightly tricky. What I did was use a Dremel (technically a RTX) to cut a slot in the side of the pill so I could expose the brass ring. I then grabbed the brass ring with pliers and YANKED and it came flying out. You could actually use a Leatherman file and do the job just that I had the RTX so it was better and faster.

p791583486-3.jpg

I've determined that the converter is an AX2002 buck converter hence it does not work as well on single 18650. For reference, if you damage the leads just like I did removing it, the negative is beside two small resistors (and indeed it is common ground with the silver ring on the battery side and indeed the whole ground plane of the flashlight). You should be able to ground this one anywhere you like within reason.

The LED+ output is literally tied to one leg of the big cap. Point the cap away from you so that you are looking at the legs. Left leg is LED+.

Sorry I don't have any pics of the converter.. you should see my other thread as to what happened to it! Unfortunately I've already epoxied the whole thing together.

As for the front end, use split ring pliers or needlenose (if they fit) to unscrew the front end. The emitter is epoxied down, I used pliers in a twisting motion to twist off the star.

p1013258735-3.jpg

p854494058-3.jpg

I'm gonna stick an MC-E in this one with an AMC7315 based linear reg at 2.8A :D that reflector could use a BIG boost in output!