Cal. Senate Bill 60...D.L's for Illegals

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cal. Senate Bill 60...D.L\'s for Illegals

Well, the Governor has said he will sign this bill, which will allow illegal immigrants to obtain California Driver's Licenses"
FROM SB60: "(2) Existing law requires the department to require every
applicant for an original driver's license or identification card to
submit satisfactory proof that the applicant's presence in the United
States is authorized under federal law and prohibits the department
from issuing a license or card to a person who does not do so.
Existing law requires the department to adopt regulations, including
procedures for verifying citizenship or legal residency of applicants
for driver's licenses and identification cards.
This bill would repeal those requirements."

The supposed "safeguard": The bill would, however, require the department to require an
applicant for an original driver's license or identification card to
present an identification document acceptable to the department, for
the purpose of establishing identity prior to completing that
application. The bill would require an applicant who furnishes the
department with his or her federal individual taxpayer identification
number to present to the department a birth certificate or record of
birth, determined to be acceptable by the department, issued by a
foreign jurisdiction, and, in addition, one other specified document
determined acceptable by the department. The bill would permit an
applicant who does not possess a birth certificate or record of birth
to instead present 2 or more of those specified documents.
The bill would require all applications for an original or renewal
driver's license to contain documentation acceptable to the
department showing the applicant is presently residing in this state."

Since he's trying to save his job, he'll sign this and gain some of the "Hispanic" vote...And will now give those who are in the State ILLEGALLY a legal form of identification. I.D. theft will skyrocket. Several other states will now not accept a Cali. D.L. as legal identification.

When he signs it, I HOPE someone or group will have the guts to challenge it (and to go against the powerful Hispanic Lobby and the calls of racism)and take it to court..If it passes without challenge, I'll place one foot into another State...If Bustamonte becomes the next Governor, I'll be looking for the quickest L.E. Lateral Hire program I can, and leave this toilet of a state like the Roadrunner...

What a shame...

--dan

Greta

Flashaholic
Re: Cal. Senate Bill 60...D.L\'s for Illegals

Welcome to my world. Arizona has been doing it for a few years now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

tygger

Enlightened

the drivers license issue is only one of many problems here in california. companies and individuals who hire people who live here illegally help perpetuate a never ending cycle. they can pay fruit pickers, nannies, housekeepers, half of what they would pay someone else who was here legally because there's really no way for them to challenge that. its a tempation few employers can resist. one of the only reasons people come to the US illegally is because they know there are jobs to be found. if more employers did their part in making sure a worker was legal then less immigrants would be taken advantage of and we wouldn't have to worry about the extra strain on state budgets which is a pain in the @ss for everyone. i wish the politicos would attack some real issues for once and stop the spindoctor routine.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

This has to be one of the most crazy things I've heard in sometime. Illegals should be deported immediately, period, end of story, no exceptions.

Greta

Flashaholic

tygger,

Right this very minute, I have two illegals working in my back yard. They are putting up a block wall around my pool. One of them makes $600/wk. No, that's not a mistake... $600/week!! Know why he makes that much? Because he shows up! The so-called "legals" don't wanna do work like this! They don't wanna get up before the sun and actually WORK! Nope... they'll whine that they can't get any work because the Mexicans have them all. They'll collect that unemployment check and spend it at the local bar and whine. This is the way it is here. If we want anything done, we call someone who has illegals working for them because we know it will get done well and in a timely manner. I don't support giving illegals driver's licenses but then on the other hand it seems to me as if they earn it a hell of a lot more than some others who feel it is their RIGHT to have one.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

are you hireing sasha laughing.when i lived in fla we had many cubans come from cuba.i always thought man it must be hard there if tyhey risk so much to get here.they would just get in a tube and float here

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
If we want anything done, we call someone who has illegals working for them because we know it will get done well and in a timely manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

You and I seldom disagree Sasha but this scenario is very definitely penny wise and pound foolish.
They were discussing it on the radio this very morning and the average household headed by a citizen pays $1200 a year in extra taxes to support illegal immigration (states with higher illegal alien ratios of course pay MUCH more than that national average).
That's a pretty big subsidy just to get that wall built.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

BTW... Arnold (only when pressured) said that he would not suport this bill.
He supports gay marriage, does not support school vouchers, and sees no need to modify either the state family leave bill nor the state minimum wage.
He also promises to legislate gasoline prices (in direct violation of the US Constitution).
Which party is he in again??

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

I like the idea of illegal aliens and anyone lese that needs a extra DL getting whatever they want. I may get another one myself, hi I'm Brad Pitt and if you don't like that DL how about me showing you my Elvis DL.

Sasha,
The lazy legal you are referring to was probably the hard working illegal a few years back. They (some, not all) get naturalized, get a SS card and are instructed how to work the hand out system which buys votes for those that create the programs which in turn helps create more handout programs.... Your hard working illegal is at the beginning of the viscous cycle.

Greta

Flashaholic

GJW... what's the alternative? Wait around for some legal guy to do the job? It will never get done. The construction industry is booming in my town because they use illegals. The money in this town is such that I'm on the low end of the totem pole. I have no complaints though... I'm "poor" and I'm putting a $40K pool/spa in my back yard right now... and I don't work. I'm ok with being "poor" here.

The point is that if we kick out all of the illegals and have to rely on legals for our work force, our city will go belly up... FAST! And don't think that won't happen in many of the cities in the border states. What we need to do it find a way to make it easier on the illegals to become legal or at least to have work permits and pay taxes. As it stands right now, they get their $600/wk and take it right straight back to Mexico to spend there. We need to figure a way to keep it here.

Greta

Flashaholic

Dave... not true! Our lazy "legals" are 20 something WHITE guys... go to the bars and you'll find them... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*

here they just sit on corner ya just pick em up there day labor.its ilegal but they do it.

ewick

Enlightened

What about the old CCC camps? Financial support earned through real work. No free rides. Things get accomplished at rates lower than possible in industry, and without the use of illegals.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened

Sasha,

I'm not sure that you've thought this thing completely through.

Let's look at who is in your backyard right now. Does the contractor who is doing your pool have work comp insurance? If not, the help in your backyard just became covered by your homeowners policy. Yup, you'll pay for any on the job injuries they have. I am in a business where I see this type of thing happening everyday. Not a possibilty but a reality. You won't believe what kind of damage it will cause to your policy.

The illegal worker doesn't work any harder than a legal. The only thing he offers to an employer is his cheap labor and he has to convince them that he will continue to be a source of easy labor. But cheap help to dig a hole in your backyard or put up a wall only helps to hurt others.

For instance, work is bid and the winner usually is the lowest bid. Businesses that don't hire Home Depot help keep their bids higher because they are paying higher wages/benefits to their employees. But because labor costs are the only real variable, people that are looking to save money will hire illegals. This forces legit businesses to do the same thing to stay in business and hiring businesses that hire illegals acutally drives down wages for legal employees.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
Dave... not true! Our lazy "legals" are 20 something WHITE guys... go to the bars and you'll find them... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, let me rephrase. There are lazy people of every group milking the system and your (AZ) system is broken.

I think I can speak for Texas and FL. and the illegals are doing what I said in droves. That is why (as GJW said) we pay an extra $1,200 a year to support illegals.

$600 a week is $15 an hour. In Texas and FL. you would have a line of every nationality a mile long for that kind of pay for manual labor. What is the deal with AZ that makes people refuse to work for $15 an hour? Are the handouts really that good, I might need to move in with you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brock

Flashaholic

In any case isn't what Cal might do illegal, that is federally? Unless they are going to give them all DL's and then arrest them and deport them, what Cal might be doing goes against our federal law. I don't get it.

I understand we are between a rock and a hard place with illegals, but I have no sympathy for ANYONE who breaks ANY law. If people don't like the law then it needs to be changed, not broken, and we all have to agree on the change, at least the majority of us.

It's just crazy I tell you...

Tomas

Banned

So, Sasha, you are saying that you unlawfully employ undocumented foreign nationals who have entered this country illegally through an intermediary who is not paying the appropriate taxes for his employees?

This makes you feel expecially good and virtuous because it allows you to get a $40,000 swimming pool in your back yard?

We've run into yet another instance where I'm afraid I must disagree with a short-sighted and selfish attitude such as that.

This is not a personal attack, Sasha, because, as you say, "everybody's doing it." You just happened to bring it up and become visible.

The entire culture built on such inappropriate foundations is sick and does not understand, or if it does, does not care, about the real damage being done to society by such actions.

All that is looked at is the "I got a great deal" and not the "... and I'm bankrupting the system for everyone else to do it!"

Heck, just get rid of all the laws about immigration and let a few more millions come in, reap the benefits, and not pay into the support of the system that is there to benefit and protect us all.

Don't stop at just giving them driver's licenses, when they reach retirement age make sure to give them social security, too, even though they haven't paid into it. Make sure they get Medicare and Medicaid for free, too. Be sure to educate their families for free and to change your culture to an Hispanic one where the language spoken is not the common language of the rest of the land - and make sure to require that businesses and especially government offices and schools provide services in their language rather than requiring they learn what at one time was our language.

You get the idea. Pay out for all those things with no demand for the "illegals" to pay in - that's really what makes illegals a problem, you know, the fact that they are off the books and not supporting the government safety net but getting the benefits of it. That's a big reason why so many of those programs can no longer afford to support services they were designed to. They are being milked dry so those who don't need them can get swimming pools and feel good about it.

Yes, we disagree on this tiny problem, and should probably not persue it further. If anything this thread should probably be closed, because it can get awfully heated when the arguments start.

Giving them driver's licenses is nothing compared to gutting our economic system for them ...

T_sig6.gif

RevDavid

Enlightened

Good points Tomas.
I have nothing against the people who are working illegally, but the system turns them into parasites, rather than contributing members of society, and that is wrong for everyone.
David <><

tygger

Enlightened

it seems the main issue here is cheap labor, and in the face of so much competition companies and individuals will do whatever they must to survive. there's no easy solution to this cause its happening more and more every year. you'd be surprised how many US companies have moved their production facilities to other countries to stay competitive. even Forbes magazine moved thier customer call center to singapore i believe. other companies have moved thier customer call centers to Inida where they actually train people with a dialect coach to make customers think they're speaking with someone in the midwest US. its crazy. in the future it seems people in the US will have to move to China or other countries for a better opportunity to get work. it sounds crazy but where else could we be headed with this trend?