Subjective Thoughts on my SL Stinger HP

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Now that it has had a nice long stay on the charger I thought some comparisons to what I already owned that are bright were in order.

The Stinger HP is brighter than: Brinkmann LX - though LX has more of a flood beam, Eveready Superbright 2AA modded with 3 123A cells and a 5 cell Mag White Star bulb - Stinger has a better and brighter beam, Mag 2C modded with 3 123A and a Mag 5 cell White Star bulb - Stinger clearly has better beam, Old Rayovac 6D made from two 3D lights with 7C cells and a 6cell White Star - although the Rayovac makes a very smooth beam, and Mag 4D with 5C cells and a 4.8v White Star - though this light makes a pretty nice light.

Brighter than Stinger HP: Brinkmann 5-3-2 with 6C cells and a ! 4.8v ! bulb, which blew as soon as I reinstalled it after verifying it as a KPR113 - It made a really great beam while it lasted!, Mag 3D with Mag Zenon Star 3cell - makes a pretty nice beam as well as bright, and Mag 2D with a 2cell Zenon Star - brighter but not as nice of a beam.

I'm very suprised that the 9v lights driving 5cell bulbs aren't brighter. And I'm VERY suprised that stock 2D and 3D mags with Zenon Stars ARE brighter (whiter anyway)!!!

Anyhow the Stinger HP feels great in the hand, will open up a bit to more of a flood beam without the black hole, and does damn good for it's size. Seems to me it should be a smidgen brighter, but not bad as is!

Your mileage may vary....

Ratso

Enlightened
If you think this is good, you will be blown away by the Ultra Stinger. I think the Mag 3C Xenon Stars just have a tighter focus? It seems impossible to be brighter (Lumen wise) than 6 cell overdriven with KPR113.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Hey PBJoe, great that you got that long awaited Stinger!
smile.gif

I'm a bit surprised as you've reported the stock Mag 2D & 3D's with Xenon bulbs to be subjectively brighter.

But I'm sure once the novelty of your new toy wears off, you'll be taking those modding skills of yours towards that HP to make it a much whiter, brighter light.
tongue.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
But Onyx...

I don't know where I'd go from here. No bigger battery would fit. No bulb I can think of would be any brighter. Besides, out and about tonight showed it to be pretty fun to play with!

Oh and yes the 3D Mag is at pretty tight focus. Had it out tonight too, and it throws a purty fer piece!

Also sorry Onyx. I got shanghied by my buddy and never got near the Dive Store. I could probably order a bulb or two for the Surge from Brightguy (along with an AA light or two for me!) if you still want me to get you one.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by PlayboyJoeShmoe:
....Anyhow the Stinger HP feels great in the hand, will open up a bit to more of a flood beam without the black hole, and does damn good for it's size. Seems to me it should be a smidgen brighter, but not bad as is!....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Joe,

I just ordered an HP from BrightGuy and was a little alarmed after reading all the negative reactions in other threads.

Your review, with all its comparisons, has eased my mind a bit. I have the US, Tigerlight, various SF's etc, and I don't expect comparable performance from the HP.

What I DO expect is very decent constant brightness over at least 40-45 minutes. Have you runtimed it? What is your opinion?

Thanks,
Brightnorm

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have never let any battery powered device PURPOSELY run down. I don't do runtime. Although I do have a Radio Shack Scanner that while I never timed it has bubkus for runtime.

I however do expect that 45 minutes would be quite possible, perhaps even the claimed hour.

Be sure and let me know how you like yours! As it turns out I like mine quite a bit!