got me a new led light brinkman rebel

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o i love it it has a bright spot but also has light on side i dont know how long the batts last ill get back to ya on that

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i also own a brinkmann rebel.. and lemme tell you.. they last a long time..
i've had mine for half a year and haven't changed the batteries once.. and this light is used quite often for around the house and in the basement and hiking..

if you ask me it's one of the nicest lights brinkmann makes..

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have read that it gives a very narrow beam without much of a secondary spill.

is this true?

i tend to like that spill for walking etc.

Bob

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:
i have read that it gives a very narrow beam without much of a secondary spill.

is this true?

i tend to like that spill for walking etc.

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

it is pretty narrow with the optic in but i tend to take it in and out. it's really easy to pop the optic in and out and with it out it's a pretty wide and smooth beam.

Catapult

Enlightened
Even with the optic in, there is spill light, but in the fashion of a bullseye effect: several rings of light surrounding the hotspot. There's still enough spill for walking. I like mine a lot, and use it often. I give it worn out batteries that would not have functioned in other devices.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I epoxied a Mag lens in where the magnifier lens was. It fits in the recessed top on the outside so I could use one "lensless" and not get dirt and gunk in the reflector. makes a nice if somewhat dimmer looking light pool. I have also replaced the led with a blue green on one.

The only times I have replaced batteries is when I steal them for other things. I measured 73 milli-amps draw on one with NIMH of unknown charge state, 2 weeks off the charger.

RAH

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
4x4Dragon said:
it is pretty narrow with the optic in but i tend to take it in and out. it's really easy to pop the optic in and out and with it out it's a pretty wide and smooth beam.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have seen other people on this forum talk about taking the lens out. Can you be more specific - exactly how do you do this? Does the top screw off? I'm afraid of breaking the top! I would appreciate some more detailed instructions.

Catapult

Enlightened
Yes! The top screws off. Just remove the O-ring and pop the optic out. If you want spot again, just pop the optic back in, place the O-ring in its original position, and screw the top back in.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 Rebels and 2 Brinkmann LED headlamps, which is the Rebel in headlamp form. Very nice. Yes, the rings are more than adequate for walking.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I leave the head off of mine at this point.

With the lense out it is great. With the head on but no lense, it gets a bit goofy again. Maybe if I widen the hole in the head and put a clear lense there....

flashlightDR

Newly Enlightened
Which LED Brinkman Rebel are you talking about...the AA or D version, I believe that they make both(?)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'm talking 2AA at this time. I did widen the hole, and cut a lense out of some plastic packaging material that is held on by one of the filter holders. It didn't hurt output much, and should keep dust out!

I don't feel the need to change my 2D in any way!

jtice

Flashaholic
Raggie....
The batts will last forEVER.
BTW. unscrew the bezel, and take out the lens. It will have a REAL nice even flood of light.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
kewl took it out.but i assume dont get it wet now?but the beam kicks but now ty

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
when ya say lens i assume ya mean the glass part?not the cone thing?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure you take the transparent plastic thing out of the flashlight, not the cone-shaped thing.
I don't know where my Rebel is at the moment, so I can't be any more specific. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

(Edit - a little while later)... Found my Rebel.
Unscrew and remove the bezel. The part you want out is a clear plastic lens. Tip the flashlight upside down in your hand, and this lens should fall off the flashlight body and into your hand. If it doesn't, you can use a fingernail to nudge it out. Screw the bezel back on.

The Rebel will not have any weather or water resistance when you do this, so please try not to get it wet or use it in the rain. The reflector will also be vulnerable to getting lint and other garbage on it, because like the LED, it will be exposed.

jtice

Flashaholic
I might try to find a plane lens to replace the focused one.
I might have to make one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
the lens outa my legend fit in it good.but a course then my legend has no lens

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i realy like this light the more i use it. i had to just go out to see whats amatter with phone it had plenty a beam to allow me to get by fish pond.rocks and other stuff in yard.and gave me enought light to see in that phone box thing