do you all like other gadgets?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i love all kind a things food procesers i like,i got a kick but one.i love lawn equpment to i have some kick but stuff there to my dad gets it at garage sales and i go to his house pick it up and fix it.lol he pays like 1 dollors for a nice chain saw.or weed whacker lol even tv,s he gets for 1 buck ok back to topic what gadgets do you all like?

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like pens and pencils. There was a time when my buddy and I would spend a good portion of our lunch hours each day going to little office supply stores to play with them and to ask questions. If we saw a really nice one, one of us would buy it.

Paul

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Besides flashlights & LEDs, I like old Commodore computers.

I have a C-128, a C-64, and an SX-64 (the world's first color portable) here, and a CBM 8032 (computer and 12" monochrome green-screen monitor all in one) on the way.
For all of these (except the 8032), I have a couple of 1541 disk drives and a 1571 disk drive, plus a Datassette, some joysticks, modems, extra memory, a few boxes of program diskettes, and some other horse puckey. And I have a MSD SD-2 disk drive for the 8032, but I still need an IEEE-488 cable - I need to determine what sex I need on the cable ends when I get the CBM 8032.

And I used to have a VIC-20 (I used it plus some D cells, a battery operated LCD TV, and an acoustic coupler modem to make a rather primitive go-anywhere terminal), but I don't know what happened to it.

I'm also very slightly into CB radio. Right now, I think I have just a CB base station and a GE "HELP" portable CB radio to use on the go. I used to have a 5W handheld that I talked to somebody in Iowa on (from Myrtle Edwards park in downtown Seattle) at 2 in the afternoon - but most "bounce" or "skip" happens at night. So that was probably a fluke.

I guess that's pretty much it as far as "gadgets" are concerned.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
The LED Museum said:
...snip... but I still need an IEEE-488 cable - I need to determine what sex I need on the cable ends when I get the CBM 8032.
...snip....

[/ QUOTE ]

TRUE IEEE-488 cables really dont have a gender - the connectors on both ends stack - effectively, the cable has a paralleled Male and female on each end

The 8032 was the First Computer I ever programmed, and I spent 10 years at a defense contractor running the envronmental test lab - the whole lab ran on IEEE-488, so I spent a LOT of time learning IEEE-488 (BTW it is also known as HPIB and GPIB - HP Interface Bus, or General Purpose Interface Bus)

Last time I checked, National Instraments was the leader in the field

DumboRAT

Enlightened
Well, if you consider knives are primitive gadgets (albeit sometimes of very high-tech material and construct nowadays), I think there's a bunch of us here who are blade nuts, too.

=)

Maybe it has something to do with primitive man.....

LOL!

Allen
aka DumboRAT

PS: I also like watches, all sorts of tactical gear, airsoft and traditional airguns, cars and car parts, powertools of all types, and all sorts of cool nifty medical devices that my professors take the time to show me. My fantasy? to be able to get my paws on Batman's belt.....

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
KC2IXE said:
TRUE IEEE-488 cables really dont have a gender - the connectors on both ends stack - effectively, the cable has a paralleled Male and female on each end

[/ QUOTE ]
I checked the port on the floppy drive box for my soon-to-be Commodore 8032, and it definitely looks female to me. There's an opening with brass looking (probably gold plated something-or-other) strips along the inside walls of each edge. It would appear to mate properly with a male plug with strips on the sides of the plug, and a flange of sorts to prevent one from inserting the plug too far.

I'm guessing the Commodore 8032 has a "female" IEEE-488 port too, but I'm not 100% sure about that. So I wait until I get the computer so I can sex the port before buying a cable for it. No sense in getting a "gay" cable for it and then later finding I needed a "straight" one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is IEEE-488 then the gender of the computer won't matter since the IEE488 cables have both male and female on both ends. I've got one laying around here, HP 10833c. If you google the p/n you can get a pic of one end and almost see the dual gender plugs. Id give you this one if there is a way to get it to you.

Oh lets see other gadgets, computer parts, electronic parts, tools, etc. My house looks like a junk yard but I'm starting to clean it up.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Eugene said:
If it is IEEE-488 then the gender of the computer won't matter since the IEE488 cables have both male and female on both ends. I've got one laying around here, HP 10833c. If you google the p/n you can get a pic of one end and almost see the dual gender plugs. Id give you this one if there is a way to get it to you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Eugene,

The connector on the back of the disk drive looks female, but I don't know what the gender of the receptacle on the computer is (it's probably female), and I won't know until I get the computer. But if IEEE-488 plugs have both genders on the ends, then I guess it doesn't matter.

Your offer to send a cable is very much appreciated... I'll PM you the address when I save this post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I guess I've hijacked this thread enough... back to our regularly schedule discussion, already in progress! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rotten Ron

Newly Enlightened
Night vision, lifefinder body heat dector, mega ears hearing enhancement, voice changer, firearms and many diff kinds of CCW systems, reloaders, scanners, flashlites, finger print kits, two way radios, lasers, knives and multi tools, first aid kits,monoculars, binoculars, tools, my jeep has lots of gadgets(air lockers, compressor,winch ect), OS weather predictor, theft detection powders, small digital tape recorders, minimag paint ball gun, bb guns, mini tv, Some incredibly stinky stuff in a small glass vile that i lost the neutralizer to, now checking into intrusion detectors, plus other stuff! I love gadgets!