New Pocket Clip Design

levelflight

Newly Enlightened
It's time for a New-style Pocket Clip...

Looking at how much creative effort has been directed to flashlights over the years has me somewhat amazed. It's impressive that so much work has been done to render both function and design to near perfection.

That said, I can't help being a bit disappointed by the pocket clips that manufacturers are still comfortable selling with such nice hardware. While the screw-on units are more robust, we are still seeing a $100 dollar light outfitted with a $.05 clip. And this is something we're supposed to rely on....or as some would say, just to have them scratch the fine finish on my light.

I mean c'mon, just because it's been done this way for years doesn't mean it's the ONLY way to make a decent pocket clip. Times change, but the lowly clip has largely been ignored.

As an example, I recently came across this item and am thinking of modding it to fit my RRT-0. Don't I wish this flashlight came with such an effective clip? You bet. This is a wonderful design because it holds onto the fabric with two small spring-loaded dogs (teeth) which are in a constant 'hold' position, and yet is easily released by depressing the mini-lever to remove it from your pocket. IMO a MUCH better and functional design than a straight pressure clip. The motion of grabbing your flashlight naturally depresses the little levered arm, which releases the dogs, and pulling it out is the most natural movement, you really don't have to think about it at all.

That's what makes it so nice to use, it's an automatic reflex action to your natural hand and finger movements. Meanwhile, it isn't going to slip from your shirt, jacket, or pants because the little teeth just won't let go, even on thin fabric. Wonderful design!

So how about it manufacturers, can we have this new design installed on our expensive, high quality smaller lights? Let's make our tactical and recreational pocket lights truly robust and ready for anything we can throw at them. When choosing between two otherwise closely matched lights I'll pick the one with the better pocket clip every time.

PocketClip1-1.jpg

PocketClip2.jpg

PocketClip3.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yeah, not a good sign that a recently released, about 2 years ago or so, product is now no longer being made. Likely a good reason for that.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a decent clip and works as advertised - I use one on my Victorinox Spirit multi-tool for IWB carry. However I only EDC small single AA lights which are so lightweight they really don't need a locking clip.

fyrstormer

Banned
It's a neat design, but if I have the choice between a flashlight getting yanked out of my pocket vs. tearing my pants, I'll opt for the flashlight getting yanked out of my pocket. I carry in-pocket anyway, so the only part that can possibly get caught is the clip itself.

Yamabushi

Enlightened
The Nite Ize eCLIPse was intended for cell phones. It requires a flat surface 2" x 0.5" for the 2-sided tape. Not many pocket-size flashlights have that.

Torpedo

Newly Enlightened
But the op is right. It would be nice to see a new designed clip. Most of the clips on my lights are kinda wimpy.

cactus man

Newly Enlightened
I found these clips both stainless and carbon styles on AMAZON and E-Bay
In fact I just ordered two on E-BAY at $9.90 each, AMAZON around $12.95

This looks like a useful clip for many items....
After I receive them and decide what I'll use them for I'll report back...
I estimate a few weeks from now

Cactus Man

Megatrowned

Enlightened
The OP mentioned having a RRT-0. Just mentioning that Nitecore makes a good one (looks like a McGizmo clip). Works well.

That being said, anyone know if the McG clip holes line up on a RRT-0 screw holes?

cactus man

Newly Enlightened
I did receive the two stainless clips ordered. They are very nice and well made.
On the other hand this design does not seem to really play well with my flashlights:
Fenix and Ultrafire models.

The clip does not seem to have the grip to ensure the flashlight will not slip off.
Perhaps if the clip was longer it would handle the weight of a flashlight compared to
its present design to hold a cell phone.

Also I really don't trust the double stick tape mount. Granted 3M VHB tape is amazing but
I prefer a clip that mechanically secures to the flashlight; either with screws or within
the flashlight barrel

I'm sure I'll find some use for these clever clips but not for any of my flashlights

Cactus Man