What is needed to turn a 6P into a 9P?

JH225

Newly Enlightened
I know I will need a A19, but what about the lamp assembly?

I am looking for a brighter lamp than the P61, and also would like it to run on a set of batteries for more than 20 minutes.

Rifter

Enlightened
not going to happen buddy, you can get the P90 which is the same as a P61(well its close enough) in terms of light output but will burn for 1 hour. or you can use the P91 which will get you up to 200 lumens but only for 20min. If you want longer than 20min and brighter than P61 you had better buy a M6.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The P90 & P91 Lamp Assemblies are for three cell SF123A standard body SureFires (9P, C3, D3, Z3)

You forgot the 9AN and M4.
Both of these are brighter then a P61 for more then 20 minutes.

Al

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little off topic, but personally I like the 9N (or AN now). It's bright, doesn't eat 123's, and lasts about an hour on a single charge.

-Mike

JH225

Newly Enlightened
OK, so I need the A19, a P90 or P91 lamp, but what about the lens? Will the lens hold up or do I need to get a Pyrex? (do they make a Pyrex for the 6P?)

Also, will a 9P lamp assembly fit in a 6P bezel?

If I add up all the extras, (P91@$20, A19@$20, Pyrex lens @$?)am I just better off getting a 3 cell light?

Also, how much brighter is the 200 lumens vs. a 105 lumens lamp(actual brightness, not percieved)?

The 6P is nice for its size, but I would like something not much bigger, but a lot brighter if possible.

Rechargeables are out for me, I don't like the idea of a lamp losing capacity while not in use.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The Standard Lexan Bezel should not be troubled by the high output of the P90/P91 Lamps. However, SureFires are not really intended to be used for extended periods constant-on. Heat buildup can damage the Lexan - melt it, deform it etc. The good news is that standard Lexan lenses in standard bezels are user replaceable. However, to keep on doing this isn't a good solution. SureFire offers Pyrex Lens versions of many of the bezels. I suggest you call SureFire to see if they have any of the standard black bezel. Other ways would be to get a "Black M2" Shock Isolated Bezel (also through calling SureFire).

I doubt you will find the 9P & P91 Lamp cheaper then the A19, P90 & P91 Lamp costs. The ability to carry a smaller two cell could be very useful to you - as could be the ability to increase your SureFire's output to 200Lu when needed.

In general, increasing Lumens from the same diameter reflector will give you a larger diameter beam - a bigger beam. There may well be some increase in white intensity - especially to start with from fresh SF123As. High Output Lamp Assemblies (HOLAs) allow you to see more of your surroundings, more quickly. But they don't usually allow you to see further away - SureFire have TurboHead options for that.

I hope this helps?

Respectfully,

Al

Rifter

Enlightened
If you want you could put a Black M2 bezel on there, then you would have pyrex and shock isolation.(as Al pointed out) I think they can be had for under $20.

Latest posts