Recommendations for deployed soldier

P

Peabody

I have a cousin who's getting ready to go to Iraq. I would like to send him a couple of LED flashlights. I would both of them to use AA batteries. I'm thinking that one should be a 1 LED light (I'm leaning towards the CMG Infinity Ultra) and the other should be a 3 or 4 LED light. This is the one I need help on. Any suggestions?

Peabody.

JJHitt

Enlightened
The original Lightwave 2000 is out there for about 20 bucks (Heartland America's price). Nice, simple and rugged.

d'mo

Enlightened
A friend of mine just returned from active duty. He said batteries were difficult to come by. Maybe a Swisslight solar would be in order.

P

Peabody

[ QUOTE ]
d'mo said:
A friend of mine just returned from active duty. He said batteries were difficult to come by. Maybe a Swisslight solar would be in order.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point about the batteries. I keep remembering the last time we were there and that PXs were set up pretty quickly.
So, this convinces me to stick with AA batteries, BUT, include 8 rechargable Ni-MH AAs and a solar battery charger.
Peabody

Blikbok

Enlightened
Send a regular Infinity also. In the pitch dark, that Ultra is way too bright. Maybe blue or green or blue green?

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would send him a red Infinity and an Ultra. The red might come in handy at night around the base. A MiniMag with a MadMax (with trim pot) would be great too, but would a little more expensive.

A PT Impact would be a little bulky, but would be tough and run a long time. The new Impact XL would be better, but no idea when it is coming out.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Peabody said:
So, this convinces me to stick with AA batteries, BUT, include 8 rechargable Ni-MH AAs and a solar battery charger.

[/ QUOTE ]
I sent my wife a solar charger and batteries but she rarely uses it.
The problem is that it must sit out for long periods of time to charge and is usually unattended for long periods of time. You really take the chance of having it stolen that way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Depending on your friend's job, he may be able to stash it on top of his vehicle during dutyhours or have it attached to his ruck.

As to the AA lights, I went with the Infinity Ultra and Dat2zip sandwich for mini-gag. A Photon or Inova microlight clipped to the collar or LCE is also a good idea, just take along 6 sets of batteries for changeouts.

If price isn't too big of a thing, how about an Arc LS second with a 2-AA tailswitch.

-Jason

flashlightDR

Newly Enlightened
ST68402.jpg

How about this? 4/AA Streamlight? It's the right color! 150hr run time?!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peabody,
As a veteren of Iraq, I have been busy building some more lights in case I go back for six months. Here are my recommendations to make this easier.
Sometimes the region is in "black out" conditions so a red LED light would be a great idea. Infinity makes a single AA which should do the duty. As far as batteries go, AA and D cells are fairly easy to get (at least we had a case of each in the hospital assembledge)
D cell lights last a loooooong time so the Elektrolumens Anglehead light is a must. It uses a 1.25 watt Luxeon LED with Fraen optics and stays at a good brightness over the life of the D cells with the help of a micropuck voltage regulator. 24 hours of continous light and a little more with intermitten use can't be beat out in the desert.
Get him the Swiss Light II solar rechargable flashlight, he can clip it to his collar to recharge it. Should be fine for general roaming around the tent complex and has the cool factor.
2D Anglehead for long run times and very, very bright light, has a red filter if he needs bright red light. Infinity red for blackout and getting around in the tent when others are asleep and the rechargable for low level lighting.
Tell him to collect "dead" AA batteries that people use in their cameras, it helps to feed the Infinities quite nicely. The Anglehead should produce some decent light from the discarded D cells that folks use in their mags.
A few other things to send him, extension cords (3 wire), zip ties and black shower curtains will make his life a little easier. Oh yeah, and those concentrated detergent pill looking things will pack well and not take up much space. Tell him good luck for me!

E

EchoSierraTwo

[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:
Peabody,
As a veteren of Iraq, I have been busy building some more lights in case I go back for six months. Here are my recommendations to make this easier.
Sometimes the region is in "black out" conditions so a red LED light would be a great idea. Infinity makes a single AA which should do the duty. As far as batteries go, AA and D cells are fairly easy to get (at least we had a case of each in the hospital assembledge)
D cell lights last a loooooong time so the Elektrolumens Anglehead light is a must. It uses a 1.25 watt Luxeon LED with Fraen optics and stays at a good brightness over the life of the D cells with the help of a micropuck voltage regulator. 24 hours of continous light and a little more with intermitten use can't be beat out in the desert.
Get him the Swiss Light II solar rechargable flashlight, he can clip it to his collar to recharge it. Should be fine for general roaming around the tent complex and has the cool factor.
2D Anglehead for long run times and very, very bright light, has a red filter if he needs bright red light. Infinity red for blackout and getting around in the tent when others are asleep and the rechargable for low level lighting.
Tell him to collect "dead" AA batteries that people use in their cameras, it helps to feed the Infinities quite nicely. The Anglehead should produce some decent light from the discarded D cells that folks use in their mags.
A few other things to send him, extension cords (3 wire), zip ties and black shower curtains will make his life a little easier. Oh yeah, and those concentrated detergent pill looking things will pack well and not take up much space. Tell him good luck for me!

[/ QUOTE ] OORAH! Great Advice...

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CMG Infinity in red is a great choice for most close up work. Bright enough to dig through a ruck (backpack), but still dim enough to not be noticed miles away (very, very bad thing), and it's red so that will keep his leaders happy.
What is his job? If his MOS is something that had has the chance of doing patrols, vehicle and person searches, a good bright, white light is also a good idea. The 4A UK or Princeton Tec are good choices. One guy in my platoon uses one for both his civillian job as a Customs Inspector where he uses it for checking cars, trucks (semis), and people. He also uses it when we go to the field and he needs a bright light. Actually, this would be a good thing to add regardless of his MOS. Anyone could end up on gate guard, or manning a check point.

Steve Andrews

Enlightened
I'm an ex-soldier, now a firefighter. As a general task-light (seeing where you are going, and what you are doing) the Opalec Newbeam would be a great choice. It has a really long run time and a low battery warning. It offers enough light to work by, but without blinding yourself and everyone around you.
I have also found the Streamlight 4AA 7 LED to be a great light.
Oh, and EVERONE should own an Arc AAA!!