Solar powered auto window fan. . . any good?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a question about those cheap [in price] solar powered window fans that are supposed to keep your car interior cooler by removing the hot air. Do these things really work, or is the 'hot air' in those sellers who say they work?

Thank you!

Orion

highlandsun

Enlightened
I have a black car and live in Los Angeles; I'm always looking for ways to keep my car cool when it's parked outside. I have one of these fans, its effect is minimal. You have to be very deliberate in which direction you park your car, to keep the window facing the sun, which can sometimes be a hassle. The idea is good, but in practice it works poorly.

Better would be a panel large enough to run the car's main ventilation fans. I've never checked what kind of power they draw, I should look into that.

Tomas

Banned
It won't make the interior of your car cool when it's parked in the sun, but it does remove the hottest of the air and suck in cooler air (leave some vents low on the car open if possible).

I had one of these and it made maybe a twenty degree difference or so in interior air temp.

It was slightly more effective that leaving all the windows open a bit.

T_sig6.gif