Tigerlight or Light Cannon?

123a

Newly Enlightened
I am new to the high performance flashlight arena. And I am looking for more experienced opinions. My question is which light is better for deeply wooded areas when hiking or camping, the Light Cannon or the Tiger Light? I have an M3 and I just ordered an M6 today which I can't wait to get. The M6 will eat up money so I am looking for either a rechargeable or a light like the LC that sips batts when carring a larger light permits. I have read the LC is shock sensitive, how bad is it. And the TL has a longer throwing beam and is a recharge so which one is better?

Jeff

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some thoughts. Only you can answer them.

How bright of a light do you need? Do you really need a light cannon for camping? Yes it would be fun to have, but I would think that a light more like the Princeton Tec Surge would be a better choice.

When I go hiking with my dog, in the dirt trails behind my house, my two favorite lights (not both at the same time) are my LGI from Mr. Bulk, and the Streamlight 3c, 10 LED light. I find that these lights give me a very wide, very intensely white light, very even, yet does not seem to hurt my night vision. I cary a Legend LX with a Surefire p61 HOlA in the other hand, for when I need a "burst of daylight". I actually prefer this type of illumination to brighter lights, as I can still see in the dark.

Rechargables for hiking/camping?

I would think that batteries would be better, s you might not always have a power source to recharge them, or you might run out of power before your hike is done. It is easier and less expensive to throw an extra set of batteries in your pocket or back pack, as opposed to an extra, expensive custom rechargeable battery.

Lights that I would bring with me for camping would be my LGI mod from Mr. Bulk, Streamlight 3c, 10 LED, my Princeton Tec Surge, a florscent Lantern, and lots of extra Rayovac batteries!

rlhess

Enlightened
Well, I haven't gone hiking/camping a lot recently, but I think I'd bring the 3P trio that I just got: P91 HOLA, N2 SRTH (turboHead) and KL3 LED (not as bright as the LGI from Mr. Bulk, but has a flat output for 7 hours), I like the idea of the 3C 10 LED Streamlight--in fact, if it's car camping, there is already one in my car.

I'd bring the SL Septor headlamp.

I'd also bring my EDC of E2e, Arc sLS, and Arc LE.

Depending on the kind of camping, I agree with a fluorescent lantern. We keep three of these around for power failures.

Cheers,

Richard

Ratso

Enlightened
For camping I prefer a spotlight that is cheap to run, very durable, water proof, and within reasonable size. The following is my ideal combo that meets my requirements. For full power lighting I prefer my UKE SL6. Brighter than a P90 + Turbohead, and runs 4 hours. Then I use a SL 3C 10 LED for medium range lighting, a SL Septor 7 LED headlamp for hands free adjustable lighting, a Syclone light with Krypton and LED (use the LED for a tent light), and an Arc AAA for backup. Maybe a big flourescent lantern to go with that.

I leave my "premium" "tactictal" lights at home. Too much risk of being damaged, lost, running out of expensive batteries, or running out of charge.

When I am backpacking I bring "just" a Syclone, Septor and Arc AAA.

Other good lights include the UKE SL4, PT Tec 40, PT Surge, and UKE 4AA.

But about the two lights you mentioned, I would probably choose the LC100, non rechargeable version. Having only 1 hour or so of light is not very comforting being outdoors a week or so. Also, the color of the LC100 may be more appealing, and you can get a Beam Diffuser for close up work. I think the shock resistance should be comparable to standard bulbs. But bear in mind these HID lamps cost $50 or more.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
123a,
Even though I think either of these 2 lights would be overkill for camping, to answer your question, the Light Cannon would be the better choice. I just ordered the Tigerlight from Dan at Tactical Warehouse (seems like a really nice guy & sounds younger than I would have guessed), so I haven't seen it in person, but I do have a Light Cannon & it is what I consider a very useful utility light. It doesn't have a long reach. What it does is lightup the local country side as though the sun came up. Extremely good color rendition. It's a lot like my Direct Drive Tripple Blaster, but more light. It is the light I'ld want if I were looking for a lost child or pet in the woods. TX

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I've asked my wife to post this. I sent this message via e-mail on a terminal in a friend's office in at Laguardia. I'm ono my way to the a European continent with what I believe to be the first Tigelight to appear in that part of the world. I was asked last minute to bring one so I borrowed the one I that borrowed in September. I post detailes when I return. Don't have time to proof read this late gor flight. Hope my mrs. Can post ok. I asked that she post onany threag with Tigerlight. LaterKT <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i don't know much about the light cannon but the tigerlight looks awesome. i will be getting one soon.

you have the m3 for a more portable and bright light, now you're looking for a very bright rechargable light with a long throw(i would go tigerlight). my only suggestion would be get something like a princeton tec40. it's waterproof, runs around 3hrs off 4 aa's and is cheap. i have one for the house and one in my truck. puts out about the same light as the surefire e2e.

a good led would be a good addition too.

123a

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, I just ordered a light cannon from brightguy, and I feel very sick like an addict. I went from owning three maglights and a M3 to ordering an M6 & a light cannon and 24 123a's in two days! The sad part is I know given a few weeks I'll want more and more power. Then, just when I get enough, I'll realize just how "useful" LED's are and I'll "NEED" a few of them!

I'm done buying for now the plastic little card is on fire!
grin.gif

Jeff

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll find the LC totally different from the M3 & M6. Keep in mind, it's an area light, not a long reach light. If you've never experienced HID before, you'll be amazed at how true the colors look. I run mine on rechargeable's. TX

SuRgE

Enlightened
Camping, Hiking!

I camp and hike all the time. There is no way I would carry a 1 hour rechargeble or any 1 hour runtime light for my primary lumination. I now carry high powered LED such as the Streamlights and Inova as primary and use the PT surge for spotting things further out.

If you must use incand. light then stick with the alkaline torches cause they give longer runtime and that is more important out in the dark woods than the brightness or beam quality of a surefire.

I now own a few surefires but they remain at home or in the car. Now, if you plan on carrying $40 in 123 batts with you when you hike, then thats another story!

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would only take the LC if I were car camping. I think it gets 3-5 hrs on a set of alkalines. I would only use it if there were a "need" for it. TX

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
I think that SuRgE has made some good points regarding rechargeable flashlights with a one hour run time when camping, it does not make sense to me.
Once the batteries have run down you are going to be using another flashlight anyway and the rechargeable is just going to be more kit for you to carry around and care for, I would rather have that space put aside for a Lightwave 4000.

I tend to have a 3 LED Clip light attached to one of the hoops located on the chest strap of my backpack, I find if I need to read a map look at the GPS, or simply need both hands it's very useful.
In my front jacket pocket I'll have a Surge.
Of course I have an Arc aaa round my neck in a Kydex sheath so if I do happen to be separated from my kit for what ever reason I still have light.

Out of the LC and the Tiger Light I would go for the LC even if just for the ability to change the batts with out having to come home again before being able to use it.

Grummond.