Mini Review: ** Saltytri Mag 1C XP-G custom thrower **

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share a fantastic little light I picked up a week ago over at the Custom/Modified B/S/T - https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/297544

I have been keeping an eye on this makers' work for while now watching as his work evolved.

This light utilises a Cree XP-G R5 emitter pushed at 1.45A through a single mode driver with a forward clicky.

In a thrower style light, I have always wanted a relatively compact host with a large OP reflector with a modern emitter i.e. XP-G R5 emitter driven hard with a 18650, a 26500 or 26650 single cell. My wish was granted when I took delivery of this beast.:naughty:

I have been using this light for the past 5 nights as my running light. I run up down a small mountain over rough terrain that involves rocks/gravel/mud large spider webs with large spiders inside!:eek:

I find I need power lots of it with decent throw to boot.

Whilst many of my existing lights do an OK job at fullfilling this role, I now have a new champion amongst my flock for high speed night running:

The Saltytri Mag 1C XP-G Custom:

The machining work is very nice with great attention to detail:

e2l008.jpg

e2l005.jpg

Well centred emitter with a pure white beam tint: Metal reflector + UCL lens:

e2l001.jpg

The tailcap work is very well executed with a very positive forward clicky action that also allows tailstanding:

e2l003.jpg

The grooves in the body provide a good, non-slip grip.

e2l006.jpg

Designed from the ground up as a 26650 host but also compatible with a 18650 with the included spacer:

e2l012.jpg

Check out the huge heat sink - it's a solid chunk of aluminium!! with the emitter at one end and the driver at the other!!

5092564784_438929481a.jpg

Driver tailcap guts retained by custom made brass retaining rings!!

5092570082_0d55246c05.jpg

5091985783_4980a02661.jpg

e2l004.jpg

(3 of the above photos were borrowed from the original sales thread - hope this is OK).

The beam is very smooth with a tightly focused hotspot. The great thing though is that despite this being a thrower, the spot to spill transition is gradual and the spill beam is still quite bright and useful.:thumbsup:

You really can't beat a big old reflector to provide great throw and a super wide spill beam.

I know there are plenty of multi emitter lights out there boasting more than the 400 lumens but this setup is entirely practical running an XP-G R5 at 1.45A providing great runtimes on a 26650 (4000mah) cell or a 18650 if required with still great runtimes.

The light doesn't heat up excessively either with no noticable drop in output after over 1 hour of non-stop use.

I am yet to source any 26650 cells so have been using AW 18650 2200Mah cells - I've no idea on runtimes but I estimate around 1.5 hours with a 18650.

In summary, this light has fulfilled my expectations and then some.

Thanks,

James....:twothumbs