crimson tide scary stuff

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im watching the movie now called crimson tide its kinda scary.i sure hope in real life they have better comuncations

6pOriginal

Enlightened
I remember another one in "Broken Arrow", some military guy was telling some FBI or CIA or something like that agent that they have lost a nuclear missile and the code name for that is "broken arrow", and the agent went "I don't know what's scarier, lossing a nuclear missile or lossing it so often that there's a code name for it" just hope this never happens in real life....but I think there was such event in the 50s when they had B-52s carrying nukes on alert in the air 24/7, one of them crashed into the sea or something and they ended up lossing a nuke....there's probably more of similar events too, can't really remember everything I saw on the History Channel... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
didnt that guy that the movie men of honor.was based on retreive a nuke?[great movie btw]

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
6pOriginal said:
just hope this never happens in real life....but I think there was such event in the 50s when they had B-52s carrying nukes

[/ QUOTE ]
Happens more often than one would like to think, but I can't think of one "reported" in the past few years. The one that you're referring to happened off the coast of Spain a long time ago.

-Jason

LightofMine

Newly Enlightened
No guys, what is more scary than all this Nuclear stuff is that the Crimson Tide plays number 1 ranked Oklahoma today. However, Alabama has over come the odds many time before. If fact no college football team in history has won more ball games than Alabama. No team has went to and won more bowl games than the Crimson tide. "GO TIDE"!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
6pOriginal said:
...snip...but I think there was such event in the 50s when they had B-52s carrying nukes on alert in the air 24/7, one of them crashed into the sea or something and they ended up lossing a nuke...snip...

[/ QUOTE ]

The Palomares (spelling?) incident.
As others said - Off Spain - 4 H-bombs on board - 2 landed on land, 2 in the ocean. The 2 on land, and one in the ocean where recovered fairly quickly, but the 2nd in the Ocean required some real work (It was a midair between a B-52 and a KC-135)

For what it's worth, the empty casings of the weapons are on display at the National Atomic Museum in Albuqurque NM

6pOriginal

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
KC2IXE said:
The Palomares (spelling?) incident.
As others said - Off Spain - 4 H-bombs on board - 2 landed on land, 2 in the ocean. The 2 on land, and one in the ocean where recovered fairly quickly, but the 2nd in the Ocean required some real work (It was a midair between a B-52 and a KC-135)

For what it's worth, the empty casings of the weapons are on display at the National Atomic Museum in Albuqurque NM

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you remember if there's another separate incident that they accidental dropped a nuke into a swamp in the south like Mississippi or Florida or somewhere? And they have never been able to recovere that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Think I also saw that on the History Channel before (yea, i am a huge fan of the History Channel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
6pOriginal said:
Do you remember if there's another separate incident that they accidental dropped a nuke into a swamp in the south like Mississippi or Florida or somewhere?...snip...

[/ QUOTE ]

No clue! The only reasons I remember the incident in Spain was I read a REALLY good book on it WAY WAY back when, and in particular the roll the submersable Alvin played, and the other reason was seening those casings about 7-8 years ago

BTW The National Atomic Museum is VERY interesting, and was a great way to kill a few hours while waiting to fly out. I've been told that the "classified" portion is even MORE interesting, and is just across the street. The National Solar Facility is just down the road

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
6pOriginal said:
Do you remember if there's another separate incident that they accidental dropped a nuke into a swamp in the south like Mississippi or Florida or somewhere?

[/ QUOTE ]

A training mission with a collision between a bomber and a fighter back in the 50's I believe. Pilot was ordered to dump it prior to landing. That's all I can remember from my History channel lessons /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Jason

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now if you want something really scary, read "The Gold Crew" by Thomas N. Scortia and Frank M. Robinson. Its a little tale of a Trident sub crew tripped out on paint fumes. What really drove this home for me is I live a mere 8 miles east (as the crow flies) of the Trident sub base at Bangor, WA. Since I read this book first, I found "Crimson Tide" pretty tame.

Dan

P.S. A little humor here. About fifteen years ago, some of the sub crews had some t-shirts printed up. They read simply "An empty tube, a mushroom cloud, mission completed, its Miller Time". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif