ARC LS Shines Bright in Alaska

Status
Not open for further replies.

MY

Enlightened
Just got back from spending two months doing the Y to Y (Yellowstone to Yukon) route (and then to Alaska). My family did several backpacking trips but one in particular, the Chilkoot Trail over the coast range in Alaska to Canada, put my ARC LS to a good test. This is the trail that thousands of gold seekers took to go to the Klondike gold fields a hundred years ago. The Chilkoot is extremely rugged and many people underestimate the difficulty in getting over the pass. The pass involves climbing through a large boulder field with your hands and feet, at a 45 degree angle, for several kilometers through rain and fog. Once over the pass, one has to still go about 7 kilometers of very wind blown, rocky exposed terrain before reaching camp.

My family made it to the next campground over the pass at about 5:00 but we noticed that many parties were still far behind. As more people started coming in, we all commented that a particular family was having an extremely difficult time and we worried whether they would make it to camp safely. With the family still not in at 11 pm, a few of us at the campground decided to go and look for them.

The sun wasn't going to set for another hour but since it was so foggy, it looked dark and you couldn't see a thing. It was amazing that many folks did not carry a flashlight at all thinking that the sun never sets in Alaska. Others had maglights and some had small 5mm LED headlamps. In the fog, these lights were just about useless. Of course I had my ARC LSH and it was amazing how the light cut through the fog for a long distance. I lead the way back the trail searching for the family. About a hour later, we heard a noise up to the side of the trail about 200 meters away. Next to some large boulders, we found the family who were bivouacked for the night. The family had seen my light and called out for help. As it turned out, the family did not carry a flashlight. The story has a good ending as we were able to help them safely to camp (with the ARC leading the way). A few people were a little hypothermic but no one was really hurt.

Again the same lesson that I have learned the hard way on other trips was taught again on this trip: always carry the right flashlight for the job. This light needs to be extremely durable, dependable, easy to operate, pocketable, long burn time, and bright. The ARC LSHP meets all these criteria and has served me well all over the world in demanding situations. Thanks again Peter for making the best pocketable flashlight on the market, that is until the LS4 arrives soon.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
great story!

it's nice that you could come to the rescue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

how stupid can people be though? going hiking, in an unknown area, and not even carrying something so basic as a flashlight?!
i realize that cpfers tend to take lights everywhere anyway, but even a non cpfer should realize the value of a light on a hike, even if they don't edc one.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Ahhh the Chilkoot Trail, I'm envious as I've heard from friends who have accomplished that hike. Lots of history there - brings thoughts of Robert Service poetry!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice to see they were rescued. They should have known better than to backpack without any portable light. Anyone with backpacking experience, takes many environmental factors into consideration, and prepares accordingly.

E

EchoSierraTwo

WOW! I can see from here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

MY

Enlightened
I think that because the sun usually doesn't set in the summer in Alaska, some people who hike there don't see the need to carry a flashlight. Because the Chilkoot is such a difficult trail to hike, saving a few ounces is more important to people than carrying a light that is seen as unnecessary.

For those interested in the Chilkoot Trail, here are a couple of links to more info and photos:
http://henkbinnendijk.tripod.com/chilkoottrail/
http://parkscanada.pch.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/yt/chilkoot/index_e.asp
http://www.nps.gov/klgo/chilkoot.htm

Even where the sun doesn't set, a flashlight does come in handy!

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering if they need a permit for that trek. Over 30 years ago a list was developed it's simply called "The 12 essentials". Going out without these essentials is crazy, they simply can't pick and choose which of the 12 they are going to take.

GregR

MY

Enlightened
Double A: While a permit is required to hike the trail and the Park Service limits the number of people who go over the pass at 50 per day, there is no "certification" or required equipment for the hike. While an orientation is given by the Park Service before the hike, there is no safety check once the hikers start up the trail.

Yes, I also carry the 10 (or 12) essentials when I am away from the trailhead, even on day hikes. One never knows what will happen on the trail and when any of the essentials will be needed. This philosophy goes with the idea of carrying with you a light at all times. One never knows when it will be needed. A light (and the 10 essentials) is only good when it is carried and available when needed.

I can sympathize with those people who left behind their light to save weight. We (family of five with three kids under 10) were out for six days and I carried a 75 pound pack stuffed with all the food for five people, two sleeping bags, a large tent, and all the rain gear. If I could, I would have left more items behind to save weight.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
MY-

Oops it IS "Ten".

I got screwed up cause I added two more items for my kits that I find essential.

GregR

MY

Enlightened
Peter:

Yes, you may use the story as you wish.

I will be going to New Zealand in a couple of months so will be able to report on the light's performance down under. Maybe by that time, I will take with me a new LS4?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.