SL 4AA

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 7led from SL and have read posts where owners stated they use a dummy cell, powering the light with 3 cells. What is the advantage to doing this? Is it to address the heat issue?

Empath

Flashaholic
Heat is the reason. There is a good deal of heat generated with the overdriving done with the SL 4AA. I haven't tried it myself, but some have said the loss in brightness is tolerable.

steve_vance

Enlightened
This heat thing keeps coming up. I've seen all sorts of things suggested: that the old models are in boxes, the new ones in blisterpack, that you have to use a dummy cell, etc., etc.....
Please note this thread, where I posted the "official" answer from Streamlight on the heat issue. IF you have one that's heating up, instead of going out of your way to figure out solutions, just SEND THE LIGHT BACK and Streamlight will replace it with the latest (updated) fix for the heat issue.
The thread (and answer from Streamlight) is here>>
Streamlight 4AA heat thread

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the dummy cell idea came about while someone was wondering about the efficiency of 3 AA as opposed to 4 AA.

There were two or three threads concerning this efficiency issue.

Then, I think when heat was mentioned in another thread, 3 AA w/dummy cell was offered as a solution.

*EDIT*
I found the threads where the 3 cell vs. 4 cell debate started. It started here:
Note: When clicking this link, you are taken to the middle of the thread, where the debate actually started.

Re: Regulated SL Prop 4AA LED?

And then it moved to here:

4-AA's powering white LED's; total waste of 1-AA?
*EDIT*

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a great question.

I was wondering while the debate was going on, why no one sacrificed two sets of cells in a runtime test, for science, of course.

Bob Snow

Newly Enlightened
I have been using three Eveready lithium AA cells with a dummy cell ever since I got mine. I like the lithium cells for a number of reasons. Since this is an unregulated light, it will stay brighter longer than with alkaline cells. Lithium cells are much lighter and not as sensitive to low temperatures. Four lithium cells would overdrive this light too much and would probably kill it, as a number of people have confirmed. Streamlight specifically recommends against using them for that reason so you need one dummy cell.