PT Impact: Is reflector metallic? Discontinued?

alanhuth

Newly Enlightened
Can someone tell me whether I'm seeing things? This picture of the PT Impact reflector on flashlightreviews.com looks metallic. Mine, however, is plain black plastic. Does anybody have a metallic reflector or are my eyes deceiving me?

Also, I noticed on the PT website that the Impact was nowhere to be found, but they have announced an Impact XL with a 1-watt LED to be released in October. Does anybody know anything about this?

http://flashlightreviews1.home.att.net/reviews/princetontec_impact.htm

paulr

Flashaholic
The Impact II (which uses AAA's and is smaller) may have replaced the Impact. The Impact XL sounds like competition for the EL Blaster II.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: PT Impact: Is reflector metallic? Discontinued

I have the 4AA Impact, not the Impact 2 (4AAA), and the reflector is black plastic. I actually like the Impact for long runtime, decently bright, and decent throw. Excellent complement to something like the Matrix (Module).

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello alanhuth,

Mine has a chromed plastic reflector.

Tom

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Mine has chromed plastic as well.

I have never been real happy with the beam it puts out. White center surrounded by a BLUE outline, then leass white area, then another blue outline. I have tried it with the clear bezel from my PT40, and it just makes the beam different, not better.

What would it be worth to you for me to pack it up and ship it?

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast

i have the original 4AA Impact (not the Impact 2) and my reflector is black plastic.

additional note:
i couldn't stand the way the beam looked with all those rings so i tore out the plastic focusing lens and replaced it with a new-but-very-slightly-sandpapered clear plexiglass lens. now the beam is like my Arc AAA, Infinity Ultra and white photon. a great jockey box light with long run time....

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I just checked my Impact II, and it has a chromed plastic reflector. I also just dug up the original Impact (the 4xAA kind), and it too has a chromed plastic reflector. So I'm guessing the *early* models of the Impact had a black surround around the LED instead of a shiny reflector.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I actually like the Impact's beam: larger, brighter, and smoother spot, than the Rebel. It compliments a standard LED headlamp very nicely.

Alledges

Newly Enlightened

I have both Impact and Impact 2. Very usable spot beam though very low overall output. Might want to use the Impact original for experiment. Don't know if Impact XL with Luxeon due in October has a lens, but would definitely try Impact original lens hoping for tightly focused Luxeon light saber. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif