LED's compared to normal light bulbs

StayInTheLight

Newly Enlightened
LED\'s compared to normal light bulbs

Hello all,

I'm trying to find the most enery-effiecent way to light my home and I'd like to use LED's. I've got some questions though. I'm used to using 60watt light bulbs so that is what I'm looking for in LED's. What white LED uses the least amount of electricity to generate light equal to a 60watt light bulb?

Thanks
StayInTheLight

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Re: LED\'s compared to normal light bulbs

i dont think there is such a thing yet

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

About 12, 5 Watt Luxeons...........or 60 one watt Luxeons..... or about 800 5mm Nichias..........

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
StayInTheLight said:
Hello all,

I'm trying to find the most enery-effiecent way to light my home and I'd like to use LED's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, you're up against it. LEDs just aren't really an more efficient, at least not enough to come close to justifying it in most cases (notice the lack of LEDs in new homes?). You might want to check out:

LEDs no more efficient site

Bottom line is the best LEDs are about 20 Lumens a Watt, conventional bulbs only slightly less (say 15 to 18). Cost not withstanding.

If, however, you go with florescent lights, you can get a factor of four improvement, that is sixty or more Lumens per Watt (notice the widespread use of these lights in energy efficient applications?).

Simply changing your existing bulbs to compact florescent will do far more than you ever could with LEDs at a fraction of the price. Fast, and completely reversible as well.

Doug Owen

raggie33

*the raggedier*

yeah thats what i use compact florescent i have one if i recall it only uses 40 watts .and is very very bright

StayInTheLight

Newly Enlightened

What if I were to use LED's in a fiber optic lighting system light the ones shown on this site Del Lighting

... oh now that I think about it, it would be more energy efficient to use a florescent light source with the fiber optic system since it is still more efficient than an led.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

this is just an article i read in discover magazine i thought might be interesting..

Goodbye and thank you, Thomas Edison. Your incandescent lightbulb, which has turned night into day for more than 100 years, could be driven to extinction by the light-emitting diode (LED). The new wizard on the block is Fred Schubert, a 44-year-old electrical engineer at Boston University who has transformed a familiar technology--the tiny colored indicator lights on computers are LEDs--into a powerful, energy-saving source of ambient white light. Schubert's bulb is actually a chip made of gallium indium nitride that emits primarily blue light. Part of that light is, in turn, absorbed by a second chip bonded to the first chip, which transforms a portion of these rays into yellow light. When the two complementary colors combine, they create for the human eye the sensation of white light.
This bulb, invented by Schubert and graduate students Xiaoyun (Jane) Guo and John Graff, may turn out to be the world's most efficient light source, because it generates white light without unwanted heat. Unlike incandescents, LED bulbs don't emit infrared light, which we cannot see but do experience as heat. "I told my students, 'We aim to do better than the sun,'" jokes Schubert. His LEDs will feel cooler than today's compact fluorescents. And they are smaller than a dime: A round wafer two inches in diameter can be diced up into 10,000 individual light sources. Soon we'll be able to throw out our cumbersome lamps and instead light rooms with rows of tiny LEDs tucked into the ceiling recesses. In time, the use of LED ambient light could reduce the nation's total electricity consumption by 10 percent. If Schubert is right, this will mean we wont need to build another power planet for 15 years. Unless, he warns, we go crazy with the lights.

Entropy

Enlightened

BTW, the reason LEDs are such a big win in flashlights is because incandescent bulbs typically are less efficient in low power/low-voltage applications. LEDs are VERY competitive in efficiency there. Also, small incandescents, esp. flashlight bulbs, are notorious for extremely short bulb life.

Also LEDs dim much more gracefully than incandescents.

star882

Enlightened

"BTW, the reason LEDs are such a big win in flashlights is because incandescent bulbs typically are less efficient in low power/low-voltage applications. LEDs are VERY competitive in efficiency there. Also, small incandescents, esp. flashlight bulbs, are notorious for extremely short bulb life.

Also LEDs dim much more gracefully than incandescents. "
Not to mention that as the voltage drops, incandescent bulbs become much less efficient, while LEDs aren't affected much.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

There is one flaw to that article. If we all switched to compact flouroscent right now, we could reduce the nation's electricity consumption my at least that much. People just don't want to spend that much at one. Of course there is the bias against flourescent lights because of the older ones, and LED's are new to most people.