SF KX4 exposed. Malkoff compatible

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I showed my KX4 BKHA to the guys at Photon Fest. I showed that my KX4 bezel retaining ring is removable and showed the LED comes out.

Surefire redesigned the KX4 as a self contained unit. Im guessing they are trying to stop people from using the Z44 and putting in aftermarket dropins.

If you look at the 6PX and G2X, they are completely contained. No modification/upgrading options as of yet.

Anyway back to the KX4. Upon removing the LED guts, the guys at Photon Fest suggested that the KX4 head would fit a Malkoff M60. Sure enough it works. There is a tiny hint of clearance issue which is solved with tinfoil or copper tape.

Here are the pictures.

p1040416u.jpg

p1040417l.jpg

p1040418.jpg

Oddly the KX4 reflector is plastic. It falls right out of the LED housing.

p1040419.jpg

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to say Thanks! for letting me know because I wanted to keep the KX4 but replace the very "worthless to me" LED in it,

I did a search and found your thread,
:thumbsup:

I was able to get my KX4 apart with NO heating or anything, it did take a strap wrench from Harbor Freight, sold in pairs for maybe 6 bucks,
and a tool I got off of eBay, a little leverage and she came loose... I am tickled....

Pics for fun!

20130316_124448_zpsec462c7c.jpg

20130316_124527_zps5290c4f1.jpg

20130316_124827_zps37804e1e.jpg

Last edited:

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thread bump!

I managed to burn my KX4-BKHA led, inspite of the superior heatsinking compared to a P60L+Z44. Surefire is sending me a new head.
So, I then decided to open up my KX4 and put my Malkoff M60 in, I noticed that the front if the dropin butts up against the rubber gasket and not against the aluminum head itself,so I had to put an aluminum rod around the dropin to fit it snug inside. The head now gets warm after about a minute of operating the M60.
The dropin itself also sits too far forward in the head so I had to use a spring from a generic dropin in order to make contact for the negative end.
Works flawless now, a G2L with M60 inside. I was thinking of getting another aluminum host but now I am keeping the Malkoff in it permanently.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I noticed too was that the electronics are covered with a thick layer of clear sealant(acrylic?). Maybe to protect against moisture, but it seems to function well as potting too.
I secretly hope that SF will update the KX4 head with a modern emitter but probably no chance of that happening.