Solar AA charger - any thoughts?

chillpill

Newly Enlightened
Hey all.

So I'm slowly accumulating some quality gear. My wife is raising an eyebrow at me buying a portable $300 water filter for myself for Christmas but she gets that I like to buy bomb-proof gear that lasts a long time. I'm happy to pay extra for well built and/or well warranteed gear. :thinking:

With that in mind, I started researching a solution for portable AA battery charging. I came across a couple of units which were sub $20 and looked like little plastic boxes with room for a couple AA batteries inside. I thought the concept was cool but apparently the build quality on these things isn't the greatest. :thumbsdow

For me: I ideally I want something to use for camping (or during emergencies) to charge AA Eneloops for headlamps and flashlights and to USB charge the odd small device.

This lead me to discover this USB AA Solar charger by Powerfilm Solar which looks pretty sweet:

5138Cm7RB5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/USB-AA-Solar-P...1596408sr=1-1

I know there are reviews on this item on Amazon ... but ... any comments appreciated as you guys are the die hard of the die hard when it comes to lights, batteries and chargers! :grin2:

I'm wondering ...

- Do you have one or something similar?

- What's your ideal portable/emergency AA charging setup look like?

Your thoughts? :D