UPDATED! Clash of the Titans II - VanIsleDSM Quad XPG Takes on titans

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, okay - the title is a bit silly, but you looked, right?

:naughty:

I had the good fortune to buy a VanIsleDSM 4.2 5000k Aluminum Quad XPG last week. Built up a package into Frankenlight...a Surefire C2 Head, Fivemega 26650 C host, and an Oveready McClicky switch. Heres the newcomer...

IMG_4214.JPG

Aaaannnnnd the challengers (sorry :eek:)

One of my all time favorites, the Haiku XPG. Kinda outgunned in this shootout in terms of lumen rating, but holds its own in terms of useful output.

IMG_4209.JPG

A favorite of many - the Mac's EDC SST50 - this one in titanium with no clip, 2.8 driver, 4500k. One of my favorites for sure!

IMG_4210.JPG

This light is 'on loan' courtesy of one of CPF's finest, and my friend, Scout24. This light is simply amazing - and it's actually about a 1/2 inch shorter than the SST50 EDC!

IMG_4211.JPG

Darling of my heat test (seen here), the Oveready 6P bored host, Hard Press McClicky switch, UCL lens, Stainless Bezel, with a Solarforce 18650 extender and 2 AW 18650 2900mAh cells - all of this playing host to a Titanium Engineering 1 Level Neutral Triple XPG

IMG_4212.JPG

4 emitters....wow

IMG_4213.JPG

Some updated beam profile shots can be found HERE

So here we go - this is the play area in my neighborhood - the trees are a nice fall color and you can see the play equipment in the center of the photo.

IMG_4164.JPG

Camera: Canon

Model: Canon EOS 40D

ISO: 1250

Exposure: 2.0 sec

Aperture: 4.5

Focal Length: 22mm (10-22 wide angle lens)

Here are shots of the tree you see in the left of the photo (above). You will notice some light pollution from the homes in the background - sorry! Tree is about 50 feet away...about being the key word!

IMG_4186.JPG

IMG_4187.JPG

IMG_4189.JPG

IMG_4190.JPG

In this next photo is the Quad. Your natural first impression is that it is not as bright, when in truth it reads about 20-25 lumen higher. The beam is somewhat less concentrated and a wider spill. Look at the tree at the right side of the photo. Remember, too, that this is on one IMR cell.

IMG_4192.JPG

Next, we turn to the play set. Lots of light pollution in the background, but the play set would be dark without the provided light. The point of this is to see the foreground, spill and the concentrated light on the play set. Play set is around 75 feet...

IMG_4193.JPG

IMG_4194.JPG

IMG_4195.JPG

IMG_4197.JPG

IMG_4198.JPG

Okay, this is my patio. The plants are about 20 feet away from the camera. Gives you a 'close' perspective.

IMG_4201.JPG

IMG_4202.JPG

IMG_4203.JPG

IMG_4204.JPG

IMG_4206.JPG

There is no clear winner here. The Haiku remains one of the most useful overall EDCs, clearly a beautiful light with 3 great levels and long run time. How can you not love the SST50 EDC? Beautiful tint, great beam, strong output.

Mac's newest, the Triple EDC is going to be a long term star. Small, light, BRIGHT!! 3 great levels including a long running low. If you don't need a lot of run time, the high is blazing - around 700 lumen from ONE CELL!

For uber bright with long run time, the Oveready package is amazing. 875 lumen in my sphere, and it runs for a LONG time.

Then there's the new kid on the block, the VanIsleDSM Quad. Amazing how much light can be put out from a one cell package. I really like it for taking my dogs for a walk in darkness - the low is great for most of the walk - medium and high are amazing - like carrying a car headlight in your hands.

But I have to say, for size, brightness, weight and overall cool factor, the Mac's Tri EDC is my favorite!

LichtAn!

Enlightened
I actually looks like that the EDC has less Lux than the Tri EDC (which is already very floody), is that correct or are the pictures just misleading?

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
But I have to say, for size, brightness, weight and overall cool factor, the Mac's Tri EDC is my favorite!

I'd have to agree. Beautiful beam profile, and a great-looking host.

Thanks for doing the comparo. It's always useful to see how the various units stack up against each other, head-to-head.

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buying a TriEDC 4500K this week...and I just found this thread.

I am pretty stoked seeing these shots. Great tint, it would seem. I love how the red tones pop out where there was only greyish tones in the XPG shots. Wow.

Thanks for these shots. I think this thread needs a bump.

obi